jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

Amazon Capsules - Open in same window or new window

1. Spacey Gracey profile image73
    Spacey Graceyposted 6 years ago

Actually thought of something constructive to write about.

A query not a criticism - why are the Amazon capsules set up so that when you click on them they open in the same window? Is there evidence of this converting better than opening in a new window? Would it be hugely difficult to give hubbers the option of setting it to open in a new window like we can with text links?

I know it should really be posted in the 'suggest a new feature' forum - but that seems to be the place where ideas go to be ripped to shreds. And anyway I am asking for the capsules back-story rather than suggesting a change.

So oh wise, experienced hubbers - what's the history - do you know why it's set up like that?

2. skyfire profile image73
    skyfireposted 6 years ago

I think AJAX/Jquery or whatever script they use to load the modules makes update very fast in comparison to collecting the data from another page and then reloading the same page every time the module updates.

The option that you suggests will take more time for setting up a hub than what we do right now.

3. Spacey Gracey profile image73

Sorry - I'm not as computer literate as you - do you mean that because the Amazon capsules are filled with real time information from Amazon, that they load better because of the way they are currently set up?

4. skyfire profile image73
    skyfireposted 6 years ago

Yes. To put it in simple way (i hope it's simple).

Case 1 : Amazon module on page -> New window "Product selection" -> ISBN saved -> Reload the entire page.

Case 2 : Amazon module on page -> Configure Module settings within page -> ISBN /Product save -> Reload module.

Case 2 is always faster.

5. sunforged profile image73
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

Forcing your viewers to open a new window is considered a poor design/usability practice.

an experienced user knows how to do it if they want to.

opening a new browser window resets the back button in that window. The back button is the second most used navigation function

http://www.google.com/search?q=why+not+ … =firefox-a

1. lrohner profile image86
      lrohnerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Huh--I would have thought the total opposite. Thanks Sunforged!

1. Spacey Gracey profile image73
        Spacey Graceyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thats's how I feel when I click on a link and it takes me away from a page - I click straight on the back button and then open it in a new window.

I know a few years ago it was pretty unreliable whether that new window would load or not, but I guess that's not a problem anymore.

2. Spacey Gracey profile image73
      Spacey Graceyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Sunforged I will do some reading. I am totally new (well 6 months in) to all of this and I do value the input of more experienced people. The way I browse the Internet I always have tons of pages open, then slowly close them down as I come across them to check whether there was anything else I needed on that page. I guess the majority of users are now savvy enough to select open in a new window if thats what they want.

Might try experimenting with some of my text links and see what results I get.

6. Spacey Gracey profile image73

And Skyfire - thanks for taking the time to explain

working