jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

I have put card game instructions in my hub

1. motherbeastly profile image60
    motherbeastlyposted 6 years ago

One of these sets of instructions has been taken from a website which I have referenced and the other instructions are just instructions.  They will be the same no matter what.  This means I am getting duplicate in my title.

Should I ignore this or should I take out the instructions.  They aren't really necessary I just thought they would go well with what I'd written about.

2. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 6 years ago

When it comes to copyright, just because you have referenced a website does not mean you can take content from them. Your best bet is to either contact the website owner and ask permission to reprint, or just put the instructions into your own words.

3. 0
    Website Examinerposted 6 years ago

Ad verbum copying of game instructions could well be a copyright violation, even though the explanation seems straightforward. The answer depends on a correct understanding of what constitutes "fair use" under US copyright law.

If you are confident that you are within fair use, then you could leave the instructions in place - and maybe ask a moderator to review the hub to get rid of the flag. Another option is to take a screenshot and convert the instructions into an image file, which should take care of the flag. However, none of these options would resolve potential copyright infringement issues.

4. motherbeastly profile image60
    motherbeastlyposted 6 years ago

Thanks guys, I'll take them out and put them in as a link.  I really don't want to infringe on someone else's copyright.

1. 0
      Website Examinerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You are welcome. That sounds like a prudent choice and a good attitude.