jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Something that occurs to me - what copyright laws?

1. motherbeastly profile image60
    motherbeastlyposted 6 years ago

As a second part of my question about referencing web pages or copying instructions. As writers are we subject to the copyright laws of the country we write in or the copyright laws of all countries that use Hubs?  If this has already been answered somewhere else can you tell me where please?

Many thanks - I still count myself as new at this, it is a heck of a learning curve.  Good fun though.

1. galleryofgrace profile image82
      galleryofgraceposted 6 years ago in reply to this

My craft articles are my own creations. They are automatically copyrighted when I write them. If you print a copy and make the product that's fine, but if you printed copies and sold them or put it on another writing site as your own work, that would be copyright infringement and I could sue you.

We can't prevent writers in other  countries from taking our work. We can report any infringement to the owner of the website they put it on or to Google. Google is very adamant about this and they will take any money that has been made on the article.
      We can only hope that anyone intelligent enough to write is not a thief.

2. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 6 years ago

The short but enigmatic answer is "yes."

Internet copyright law is much less cut-and-dried than with hardcopy publishing.  What happens often depends on who thinks their rights have been violated and how.

3. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

As writers on the Internet you are subject to International Copyright laws and local copyright laws. International copyright law protects you from infringement in most countries, there is a list soemwhere, and it is surprising which countries do (and do not) subscribe to it!

4. 0
    Website Examinerposted 6 years ago

Look up the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works.

This Convention basically says that copyright protection is automatic from the time the works are embedded into a tangible medium such as paper or a computer file. No registration is required. The United States and the UK were late to join. Today, count on that all major industrialized nations are members, and many developing nations as well.

In practice, the differences between national copyright laws are not that significant, since most nations are bound by the Convention. The real issue is: Where might you need to sue someone? Or where might you get sued? In this regard, standards vary from country to country: The US requires registration of copyright as a precondition to sue, for example. Many other countries have no similar requirements.

http://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/ShowRes … eaty_id=15

1. motherbeastly profile image60
      motherbeastlyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thank you everyone.  I certainly don't intend to copy anyone and therefore it shouldn't be a problem, though it is obviously important if we do quote someone or something we reference it correctly.

I think I will just try and make sure I just provide links, if necessary.