jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Recommend a good free website counter?

1. DonnaCSmith profile image83
    DonnaCSmithposted 8 years ago

I want to add one to my writers website. When I searched I learned there are many out there. But, wonder if some are risky? I don't know enough about tech stuff and don't want to add something that I shouldn't, or give access to my site for unwanted ads, etc. Am I being paranoid?

1. 0
      terrygposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Yes and you have every right to be. A stat counter always comes with an embedded link to the chosen site of the person who wrote the counter widget. This way they generate one way back links to their site. Therein lies the problem as it might be a bad neighbourhood url or even worse a sex or gambling site that will crucify any search engine traffic you might have expected.

If you want a good stat counter go to Alexa dot com and get a traffic ranking counter. It will increase your traffic count and in time as it reduces will make your site more appealing.

Using the Alexa traffic rank counter can have far reaching benefits to your site.

2. BassGuru profile image73
    BassGuruposted 8 years ago

I would keep these numbers private anyway. Sign up for google analytics, it is rather good.

3. broalexdotinfo profile image60
    broalexdotinfoposted 8 years ago

Counters are old-fashioned , haven`t seen a blog lately with one of those number counters on. I highly recommend Extremetracker.com , it`s the most complete Tracking Website.

4. Eric Graudins profile image61
    Eric Graudinsposted 8 years ago

If your website is with a commercial webhost, you 'll probably find that a stats package like AWStats is part of the deal.

This will give you much more detailed information than a counter. And all you have to do is log into your control panel and look at them. You don't have to add anything to your site or pages.

(And yes - visible counters on web pages are  SO 90's smile

1. darkside profile image85
      darksideposted 8 years ago in reply to this

That or Webalizer.

Whenever I see one that's my first thought.

5. DonnaCSmith profile image83
    DonnaCSmithposted 8 years ago

Thanks to all of you. I knew I could count on you for help.