jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)

What Can I do about the Ads that Appear on my Hubs?

1. Pratonix profile image72
    Pratonixposted 6 years ago

I joined Google AdSense a couple of days ago. Google is putting up ads in my hubs. But some of the ads are not matching the content of the hub, and neither do they match my interests.

How do I get rid of these ads and put up better ones there? I would like to choose the ads that I want to put up. Some type of ads I would like NOT to appear; can I block them?

Please guide me on this!

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 6 years ago

You cannot get specific types of ads to appear, although you can disable ads for non-commercial hubs. Adsense has a "Competitive ad filter," available from the control panel, which allows you to block specific advertisers.

Pratonixposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks. I am learning the ropes. Blessings!

But though I have put the address of the offending ad (www.xxxxx.com) in the box, the ad keeps appearing on my other hubs.

The ad itself is very tasteless; badly designed, and not in tune with the content of my hubs.

How do I get rid of this 'fellow'?

1. profile image0
          Website Examinerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Even if you have blocked a domain from serving ads on your 60% share of the page impressions, HubPages still gets 40%. I am no expert on this, but I really cannot see why you having blocked these ads under your account should prevent them from appearing on HubPages' share of the page impressions, as that is administered under their Adsense account.

You may also want to take into consideration that different people will see different ads depending on their location, browsing history etc. So your control over ads is very limited.

"You may also want to take into consideration that different people will see different ads depending on their location, browsing history etc. So your control over ads is very limited."

Are you saying that if I am in Japan, I will see Japanese ads? And if I am in the USA, I will see American ads?

And if X sees my hubpage, he will see different ads based on his browsing history?
            And if Y sees my habpage, he will see ads that match his browsing history?

1. profile image0

That essentially is correct. The user's IP address and browser "cookies" tell Google about a visitor's location and behavior, and so ads are selected accordingly.

But how do get rid of bad ads (badly designed, cheap looking)? Surely, in one country/region there may be several advertisers. Google can replace this 'guy' with somebody 'better looking'!

1. profile image0

Whoever bids the highest for an ad spot will get it; that is how Adwords works. Of course, they are supposed to match your contents if possible, and adding some relevant tags and keywords could help bring about more appropriate ads. Removing certain tags and keywords could also have an effect. Not much more that I can say on the subject.

I know something about tags, but keywords is a subject that I have to learn from the beginning.

Marketing your hubs takes a lot of time & energy, I must say!

3. profile image0
    TopUniverseposted 6 years ago

Use competitive filter as said by Website Examiner and also use category filter to block some specific categories of ads.

working