Lose HubKarma

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (54 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

Just a thought...

1. profile image0
      cookingdivaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow, I am amazed at all the answers, it is interesting to learn new stuff. I thought hubkarma was good thing to do, now I am not sure.

2. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

As someone said on another thread - people love numbers. They like to see them go up.

That's why we have hubscore, authorscore, hubkarma....

I have no idea what my hubkarma even is. 50 something I think. I rarely look at my numbers... except my adsense and amazon that is!

3. profile image0
    Rhysjcposted 13 years ago

I'm not sure, I quite like the idea of HubKarma. I think it gives HubPages a nice sense of community.

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

i agree.  plus, i wish hupbages would let people see which hubs theirs are link to, so we could return the favor. I know i would if i knew all the users that linked my hub to theirs. big_smile

4. GmaGoldie profile image82
    GmaGoldieposted 13 years ago

All numbers are helpful.  We cannot let the numbers rule but the guidance of the Hub Karma has a solid foundation.

Here is an opinion from another site about Hub Karma:

"The Hub Karma is a brilliant way to encourage writers to treat each other with respect, and to direct traffic to other authors on that site."

Read more: http://www.bukisa.com/articles/298327_i … z11oStxyM8

The purpose is to work together so I wonder if the term Hub Karma is fully grasped.  Perhaps the term needs better promotion or renamed to showcase the team building and interlinking.

5. profile image0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years ago

I dont care if it stays or goes, I never look at it.

6. profile image0
    TransScribblerposted 13 years ago

I do not care about all the scores, numbers, and so on that go with Hubbing. That said, I do find it a little rude that scores and Karma points seem to drop simply because you are not online for a day or so.

7. b. Malin profile image68
    b. Malinposted 13 years ago

I have to agree.  I don't get how I go from  91 to 87 over the weekend.  I have about 29 Hubs, lots of good feed back...so what gives...are we solely judged by some computers findings...I'd like to think of myself as a writer, a person, and not a statistic.  Even when I'm socializing with friends and family....I've got writing on my mind.  So I guess I'm not going to let it get to me.

8. camlo profile image85
    camloposted 13 years ago

I wouldn't miss it. Mine went from somewhere in the forties to somewhere in the seventies, then moved back down to 57, where it's been for weeks.
    As far as Hubber Score is concerned - maybe some part of it is based on certain factors, but the rest is arbitrary.

9. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 13 years ago

I regularly travel and several times per year I have times when I can't get on HubPages for an entire week or longer.  My Author Score never goes up or down more than a handful of points, and it does that when I'm actively here too.

I think too many people are putting too much emphasis on trivia actions, and aren't working to make really strong content that draws traffic organically from the search engines.  That's what has the most effect on your scores, not if you are here in the forums, or posting comments...

1. camlo profile image85
      camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I think you're right. My other account with commercial Hubs has a much higher Hubber Score, probably because of much more (organic) traffic. But the Hub Karma is even lower than the score on this account.

10. lakeerieartists profile image63
    lakeerieartistsposted 13 years ago

I have to admit that I pay very little attention to any numbers here except for my total traffic to my account, any really high trafficked hubs, and my earnings.  The rest doesn't really mean anything to me.

If you write excellent content, you will have good scores.  My own scores go up and down on a daily basis, and it doesn't seem to have any correlation to what my traffic or earnings are.

11. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

Hub Karma...... strange thing really, not even really sure what it means.  My hub Karma is 58 i think is that good.

1. camlo profile image85

It's not good, Joy, I'm afraid.
      I just took another look at mine - 67, not 57.

1. Joy56 profile image67
        Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

oh no i don't have much karma help!!!!!!! can someone kinda give me some or something,

1. camlo profile image85

You have to link your Hubs to other Hubs, and spread the Hub Love in general.
          I don't think the Hub Karma Score is important anyway, so don't worry about it.

12. saleheensblog profile image60
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

loosing everyday but who cares hmm

13. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

ah now i get it.  To be honest i have not been writing much lately ..... lost my touch, just going to put a picture of falling leaves on to a hub, and publish it, then maybe i will spread a bit of karma around place who knows, i am really tired, actually

1. camlo profile image85

Wouldn't that get a low Hub Score - no text etc.? A Hub Hopper would probably flag it for having too little content.

14. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

sorry the poem was already written, just added the picture now....  my head is all over the place.,

1. camlo profile image85

Now you just have to link that Hub to another Hub, and your Karma will rise.

15. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

i was thinking of that.... so does it have to be another hub about falling leaves, or at least connect in some kind of way, or can i just link to any old soddin, thing.

1. Joy56 profile image67

oh my karma is rising

1. camlo profile image85

To make it really rise, it should connect in some way. If you find nothing suitable to connect to, any old soddin thing is better than nothing - one of my Hubs, for example smile

16. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

i am kinda working it out now..... o.k. so i will link some up........  i did another one about a waiter we met in Spain.... Got waiters on the brain at the moment.  Can you write poetry.  Lots us used to write poems together, when i was poet lorraine, but we all have lost our inspiration somehow

1. camlo profile image85

I can write a few lines with a rhyming word at the end of each, but nothing like poetry.

17. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

nothing deep and meaningful, bet you could, everyone can..... oh no i don't like rhyme it is dated ha ha ...

1. camlo profile image85

I could write something deep and meaningful, but I'm not sure anyone would call it poetry.

18. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

well if you call it poetry everyone else will, you can't fool all of the people all of the time, but i manage to fool a lot of the people, quite a lot of the time.... time you wrote another hub actually.  make it a poem .... all deep and meaningful. if you want some inspiration read mine first ha ha

1. camlo profile image85

I've been writing for my other account. 9 Hubs in a week - not bad for me.
      I've been thinking of writing another men's grooming Hub.

1. Joy56 profile image67

so who is your other account, here on hubpages is is it

1. camlo profile image85

Only one person knows that (an off-line person), and finds it hilarious. No, it's too embarrassing to tell.

1. Joy56 profile image67

come on i need to know is it a female.

1. camlo profile image85

No - but I won't tell anyway smile

19. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

that is just soooooo mean

1. camlo profile image85

Sorry, Joy. Has to be that way, I'm afraid. Just a different persona for a different type of Hub - but not like me by any means.

1. Joy56 profile image67

wow the suspense is killin me

1. camlo profile image85

And I don't think that other Hubber you just asked on another thread will be able to help you (can't remember the name).

1. Joy56 profile image67

it's Ryankett he is from Manchester like me, he knows everything.... but he says he does not know shucks.

1. camlo profile image85

Well, my other account doesn't comment on other people's Hubs, doesn't go on the Forums, and only sometimes follows back. Never links to other Hubber's Hubs either, and has a Hub Karma of 82.

1. Joy56 profile image67

wow.... a little genius there it seems you are so full of mystery

20. LSKing profile image67
    LSKingposted 13 years ago

My hubkarma stays in the 80's range...and I have no idea how considering I've been here only 8 weeks....

21. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 13 years ago

Ignore HubKarma.

If you try and make an effort to improve it, all you will be doing is potentially sending your traffic away from your hub to other peoples hubs.

1. KCC Big Country profile image85
      KCC Big Countryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Unless you're redirecting it all to meeeeeeeeeeee.  smile

Just kidding!

2. Joy56 profile image67

you are so wise darkside.... so very very wise....

3. Lily Rose profile image85
      Lily Roseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Exactly!  That's why I have no idea what my HubKarma score is - because I never look at it.  It's the only number that I care nothing about whatsoever here at HP...

22. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 13 years ago

Oh ok KCC......lol

23. snakebaby profile image66
    snakebabyposted 13 years ago

My karma went from 87 to 82 a little by little over the past couple of weeks, even though I've had more hubs of others linked under the rss feeds, I think, of course, the results are dynamic, maybe the other people's links are less now so is the hubkarma, I don't know, but I still think I linked more, yet the number dropped, doesn't make sense.

24. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 13 years ago

I read that it helped your overall hubscore so started using the links suggestions tool on all my hubs to increase my hubkarma, however, Darkside recently suggested to me that doing this was potentially losing my readers who could click on a link and not come back. I could see that he had a point there and have since been not bothering with my hubkarma and not using the tool very much apart from some links to my own hubs.

25. libby101a profile image60
    libby101aposted 13 years ago

When I first started on hubpages a few months ago I made sure my hubkarma stayed at 100, now I don't care... it has stayed at 96 for a while now... but I don't put links in my hubs anymore because of a few things...If I don't have time to go read the hubs I am recommending I have no idea if they are good, and I don't want to recommend a hub that may not be useful! I also find time limited as it is... there is so much to keep up with hubs that putting hub links in becomes more of a chore when there is so much other things to do that are much more important.

So I don't bother with hubkarma anymore. I'd rather concentrate on writing.

26. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

I never check it, or worry about it.

I will add a link to another Hubber's hub sometimes if I think it is a useful one to the reader and I have no hubs of my own that would fill the gap. I tend not to use the links suggestion for any I add, preferring to use the search and link feature.

Last time I noticed mine was 75 but I once noticed it does not seem to alter after adding links by the method I use.

27. lovetherain profile image80
    lovetherainposted 13 years ago

I haven't noticed....does our HubKarma show to other people? Or is it just for our own to see it?

28. WoodsmensPost profile image62
    WoodsmensPostposted 13 years ago

About a week ago or so I decided to remove some of the hub karma links and the ones I left in I added a URL tracker. I am still monitoring these to see exactly how much traffic actually clicks on highlighted word links.

Results Hub Karma ( highlighted words with url tracker) clicks = 0 . So what this is telling me is that the percentage of viewers who click on a linked word in my hubs is very very low.

1 week isn't really a fair estimate I have a feeling the percentage is low.

The point is people are worried about loosing traffic when if fact most may not choose to follow highlighted words anyway.

People these days are become extremely computer and internet savvy so they know better than to navigate away from a page by clicking on a random highlighted word.

I feel it is a good idea to splash a few links of fellow hubbers hubs using the suggestion tool throughout various hubs. Even if is low performing hubs. If this wasn't part of the over all numbering system then why would hubpages put this in to begin with? Add a tracker to the link tho.

Maybe a member of the HubPages team could explain this in further detail to put every ones curiosity at ease.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)