jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Why has my Hub got large, flashing, irrelevant, annoying Ads?

1. Alison Graham profile image94
    Alison Grahamposted 6 years ago

I do not understand why, when I try very hard with my keyword research to find keyword phrases that will generate ads with a reasonable cpc and to only use keyword tags on those phrases or related phrases, that my hubs are covered with giant flashing ads with pictures of beefburgers and others selling loans - they are not relevant at all to what I have written.

How does this improve the experience of a visitor to Hubpages?  If I clicked on a page where the most prominent thing was a giant flashing beefburger, my first thought would be that the article would not be worth reading and I would click off again pdq!

Maybe this is why I am often earning as much from adsense on one little (targeted) website every day as I am earning from all my hubs put together?

2. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 6 years ago

Adsense targets ads contextually, but also does targeting based on behaviors - so it's possible to see ads that aren't actually based on the content of the page.  Also, AdSense does a better job of targeting ads about a day or two after a hub is initially published.  Hope this helps.

1. Alison Graham profile image94
      Alison Grahamposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Paul, I realised afterward that my post sounded really grumpy!  For which, I apologise,  the longer I am on HubPages, the more passionate I am about the site! But, I did want to make the point that adverts on some hubs are definitiely NOT improving the visitor's experience by providing targetted content that is of interest to the viewer of the hub. I was also trying to make the point that it is frustrating when as the writer of the hub, one has tried hard to add tags with good keyword phrases that are likely to generate a reasonable cpc and to see ads that have nothing to do with the keyword phrases chosen, quite a while after the hub has been published, is a little disheartening.

3. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 6 years ago

Targets based on behaviors?  Is that why every (or at least it seems that way) hub that I visit has an ad for making tiny bellies? big_smile