jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)

Is HubPages a blog site???

1. Lily Rose profile image84
    Lily Roseposted 6 years ago

I was just checking up on one of my Blogger blogs and there was a Google ad on it for HubPages.  It said: "Reason #2 to Hub - Get Paid to Blog"

I know I have been among many hubbers who have been here a while that sometimes reminds newbies that hubs are not simply blog posts ... now HP has Google ads out there trying to get people to come here and "get paid to blog."  What's up with that??  Or am I missing something?? hmm

1. 2uesday profile image88
      2uesdayposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I have seen it too (a few weeks ago) and then we get the situation of people talking about blogs on HubPages and they are told it is not a blogging site. It must be very confusing and off putting for anyone new to HubPages who joined because they saw the ad. on a blog.

2. 0
      Charlinexposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Maybe a more advanced blog site? If HP says so, then it is a blog site.

2. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 6 years ago

I remember someone asking this question ages ago.

And yes, it's rather silly - it encourages people to come here and write short, personal posts.

3. jessicab profile image61
    jessicabposted 6 years ago

It's confusing, when I submit my  hubpages rss feed to some submission sites they will email and say this is not a blog.

Lily Roseposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Because it's not!  And that's how it should stay - not that anyone has any reason to listen to me smile

4. Lily Rose profile image84
    Lily Roseposted 6 years ago

Yup - even though it happens already, I'd really hate to see HP turn into that.  I'm really shocked that they are advertising this way.

5. GmaGoldie profile image86
    GmaGoldieposted 6 years ago

What would you categorize Hub Pages as - a magazine?  A blend of the wikipedia and National Geographic with useful info?

The question becomes what do we really do?  How do we define ourselves?  We agree we are not "bloggers" 

An online magazine?  An online source of information from videos to photos to quotes to other references?

I agree with Lily Rose, "blogger" is the wrong term to promote.  It greatly confuses the message we want to send and degrades the hard work we put in.  But we have no other category - how can we create our own category?

6. 60
    ewhiskey50posted 6 years ago

Hello, when I sign up I thought I was signing up for a blog, it ok, I will continue to use this and learn and earn. I just started it a lot to learn.

7. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 6 years ago

That may be the reason so many new people to the site refer to the hubs as blogs and also ask questions in the forums.  If it is being advertised this way (which I have not seen personally) I can certainly understand the confusion. So lets give a bit of leway to those who think Hubpages is a blogging site & correct their terminology with respect & kindness.

1. 0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 6 years ago in reply to this

sounds good to me. smile

2. rebekahELLE profile image91
      rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think also some people tend to have different perceptions of what blogging is. there are some excellent writers who blog. those writers won't have a problem figuring out the HP platform. I saw an interview link somewhere on the site from Jason that was featured on a blog site. He talked about what HP is and how to publish here. if I find it, I'll add the link. I like your last line.

google always comes through. I found it.
      http://www.blogherald.com/2010/08/27/al … n-menayan/

I just read the interview you linked to - interesting.  The questions put to Jason specifically referred to "bloggers" and he did not refute it.  Oh, and the get paid to blog HP ad was on the page, too!  Oh, well, I guess it's not a big deal, just something that struck me and I wondered what others' opinions were...

8. Simone Smith profile image91
    Simone Smithposted 6 years ago

I suppose you could say that HubPages is like a Wikipedia where everyday experts can earn money from their articles.
    It is quite difficult to verbalize it all, though, isn't it!  Jane@CM's approach sounds good big_smile

1. Shadesbreath profile image89
      Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I would disagree with that.  Wikipedia, bad as it often is, does have a "peer review" of sorts that at least threatens writers with revisions if their work is grossly inaccurate and unsupported (including citation and documentation).

Hubpages is also not an e-magazine, although it is closer to that than anything. Certainly not like a magazine that is part of "the Press," because it's far too censored and beholden to advertising to be that, but more like a trade magazine where articles often have real information, but more often are advertorials.

It's not a blog site, and to advertise it as one is as misleading in my opinion as it was to advertise it as a "writing job" in Craigslist where I discovered it.

1. 0
        ryankettposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Can you all be sure that Hubpages themselves are initiating these ads?

How do you know that somebody hasn't banged their referral code into an AdWords campaign?

And Shadesbreath, how do you know that the poster of that Ad wasn't a hubber with a referral code?

Wow, I never stopped to think that that could - or would - be done.  I really am unfamiliar with how AdWords works on that side of the fence.  I just automatically assumed it was an ad initiated by HP.