jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (17 posts)

Hal Licino Has Left Us.....

1. 0
    ryankettposted 6 years ago

I did a quick search and saw no mention of this.

His 2500th hubpage (I know, astonishing!) was published 2 weeks ago, and was entitled...

'Hal's 2,500th & Last Hub. Peace. Out.'

Can be found here: http://hubpages.com/hub/Hals-2500th-Last-Hub-Peace-Out

It looks like a few people have noticed and said their goodbyes, but if you didn't know... then head over to hub and say cheerio.

Basically, he wasn't happy with the quality issues, too much spam (and having found published hubs with NO WORDS AT ALL recently, he does have a good point). Nice goodbye message though. I really enjoy watching a hubber bow out with dignity.

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image80
      Ultimate Hubberposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yup, someone is sane enough to leave without deleting their hubs.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image81
        Maddie Ruudposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes.  Yes.  YES!

2. rmcrayne profile image95
        rmcrayneposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thank goodness.  I will never understand hubbers deleting their work.

2. frogdropping profile image85
    frogdroppingposted 6 years ago

I noticed his quiet exit Ryan. I can understand his reasoning behind his decision.

Presumably he's done what's best for him, plus left his hubs up, which is the better alternative to removing them all.

As for low quality hubs, seen 'em. This is a big site, thousands of hubs being published week to week. There's plenty of room for crud. I'm thinking the Hubteam isn't big enough to catch all the detritus but I figure they do their best.

I think that's where the you's and me's come in. The frog hopper tool, wandering round and reading in general - it takes little effort to bring shabby work to their attention. I'm sure they take a look when something's waved under their noses smile

3. 0
    ryankettposted 6 years ago

I should probably also point out that managing a wide portfolio of hubs does take a lot of time.

I really hope that Hal's hubs mature over time (so many are young and fresh) and provide him with a stonking income.

I myself have flirted with the idea of just stopping at a certain amount, maybe even 1000. I tend to go through my entire portfolio and make changes, improve, move ad blocks, etc etc, quite regularly.

It takes me weeks, and then I start again. I think that 1000 is a nice manageable number - with a few deletions being replaced by new hubs once and a while. Clearing out deadwood in other words, the ones that just never ever mature.

I certainly don't think that I can manage any more than 1250. Every time I go through my hubs, in chronological order, I find Amazon capsules to update, News capsules with 'no news', bad grammar, etc etc.

There has to be a saturation point.

1. Pcunix profile image88
      Pcunixposted 6 years ago in reply to this

My solution is to ignore all but the top 100 earners plus the top 100 in traffic.  There is some overlap, so the total is usually about 125 or so and those are the ones I pay closest attention to.

Though even that is too much to paw through in detail, so I mostly depend on looking harder whenever a new comment is left.   Finally, I have a little cgi script that just pulls a random page for me to look at - that brings up some eye brow raisers every now and then,

Managing large numbers of pages really is difficult and can be insufferably boring too.

4. Joy56 profile image61
    Joy56posted 6 years ago

I hope you do stay here for ever Ryankett, you just make me laugh, and i do not even know why,,,, strange really.  Maybe it is your honesty, a genius, with a kind heart.  Never heard of that other hubber.  He did not write about England football did he?

5. Daniel Carter profile image91
    Daniel Carterposted 6 years ago

A very fine example of style and class. Thanks for pointing this news out to us, Ryan.

6. girly_girl09 profile image80
    girly_girl09posted 6 years ago

That is a heck of a lot of hubs! Am I correct to assume that he has the highest # of hubs under one account? (aside from the indian picture galleries lol) Hopefully he'll see his income increase, even though he has left.

7. livewithrichard profile image85
    livewithrichardposted 6 years ago

Hal is funny, controversial, professional, and iconic here at Hubpages. I learned a lot from his layouts. I admire his work ethic and respect his need to move on.  Good luck Hal.

8. Sally's Trove profile image99
    Sally's Troveposted 6 years ago

Hal is a model for production on HP, production that sets a standard.

I've often wondered if he isn't one of HP's staff.

Sorry to see Hal go.

"HAL begins to malfunction in subtle ways, and as a result, the decision is made to shut HAL down in order to prevent more serious malfunctions." From WikiPedia.

2001, A Space Odyssey. A great space.

I don't think there was a malfunction going on, but maybe a need to put an end to a time, thing, and place in order to go on with the future.

So long, Hal. We'll miss you.

9. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 6 years ago

Thanks for letting us know Ryan. smile I am almost sure Hal won't be able to stay away for long smile

1. Sally's Trove profile image99
      Sally's Troveposted 6 years ago in reply to this

What you said is so interesting, Misha. Perhaps you have an inside line.

Perhaps Hal is you? smile

1. Misha profile image75
        Mishaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

LOL Thanks Sally, it's a huge compliment to me - but no, Hal is a separate human being, even though we see eye to eye with him on many things. smile

I just know how addictive hubpages are, and Hal is just a human, albeit very talented. I doubt he'll be able to withdraw. Or may be I just hope... smile

1. Sally's Trove profile image99
          Sally's Troveposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I take you at your word, Misha. smile

10. WryLilt profile image86
    WryLiltposted 6 years ago