How do I get rid of old comments from last year's HUB?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (19 posts)
  1. marscrtr profile image61
    marscrtrposted 13 years ago

That's my question. I refresh my Hub "In the Daze" every quarter or so. The old comments from the previous hub are still there. How do I delete them? Sorry to be so dense. Could you help me with this?
    THNX
    Marsha

1. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I must wonder if what you are telling us here can really be true. Your profile shows that your hub "In the Daze" - the only one, which is 12 months old according to your profile - has only received a single comment. That comment was left 118 minutes ago by an unregistered user, and your Original Post is only 85 minutes old at the time of this writing.

You have only three followers, none of which have any hubs or hubtivity - i.e. they do not appear to be genuine hubbers.

If you need followers, comments, feedback, traffic, friends etc., there are ways to achieve that. But posting a thread like this does not seem very constructive, in my opinion.

1. profile image0
        DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I had a funny feeling it was more likely to be this....

Ive never heard of old comments sticking to a new hub.

But perhaps she is asking about a different account? At any rate, maybe some other new hubber will need the advice given on how to delete comments.

1. profile image0

Thanks DoorMattnomore, but as you can see, the OP asks specifically about that hub - the only one posted under her account. I do not see how the question can relate to any other account.

1. profile image0

oh yeah.... well...I dunno... hmm

That is pretty specific I guess. Perhaps this thread ought to be sent over to extreme makeover?

1. profile image0

Could be... I'm too exhausted to even report it.

1. profile image0

oh well. I think it would be dead already if I stopped chatting wiht you.  smile  sorry your tired, hope it isnt cuz of a bad day.

1. profile image0

Not at all. Doing anything else will be fine.

1. profile image0

big_smile I see. well..I have to run off now. A friend is in need...

have a great night.

2. mega1 profile image79
          mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes, I'm very glad to know how to do it - hiding the old comments and adding a new comment box seems the best, because then you can probably get the old ones back if you should ever want to look at them.  So thanks for the advice.

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Marsha, I think you're totally misunderstanding what HubPages is about, or even what writing online is about for that matter.

HubPages is a place to write interesting, information-rich articles.  You don't just write one Hub and keep changing it, you write a new one each time.

However, HubPages is also not a blog. HubPages is more about magazine-style articles, not self-reflection. Your Hub reads like the sort of thing I'd expect to see on a personal blog.  You may want to look into blogger.com or wordpress.com instead?

2. frogdropping profile image76
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

Just click the 'deny' button. Then click the 'delete' button that will appear.

3. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

A possible different solution is to limit the number of comments that will be shown. This can be done in the comments capsule itself.

A third option is to delete the comments capsule, then insert a new one while in edit mode.

4. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Hide the capsule,i guess there is option to do that. After hiding the old one you can add the new capsule if you want.

5. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

speaking of "extreme makeovers"  that phrase always makes me chuckle because it brings to mind a few old relatives I have who could use a truly EXTREME makeover!

6. profile image49
    Ken in Wisconsinposted 13 years ago

I'm new to this but I can see where the original poster might want to hide old comments. After all, opinions change over time. We get older and sometimes wiser. Okay, sometimes we don't get any wiser, but we certainly get older and all of us have opinions that change.  While the original poster might not have many followers, perhaps there is a reason to delete old comments.  If I said I loved George Bush 3 years ago, I'd probably want to delete that comment today. Anyway, I thought it was a reasonable question and am sorry the moderator took what appeared to me to be offense and chose to chastise rather than offer suggestions.  I don't have ANY followers, but you know what? I work for a top radio station and there are several hundred thousand people a week that hear my opinions, etc. If they chose, eventually, to follow me on this forum. Fine. If not, well, that's fine too. Let's not judge  people by the number of followers, or responses for that matter. When someone has a legitimate question why must the moderator chose to berate that person, as appears happened in this instance?
      I quote for the very rules of this forum: "We’re all here to learn, so please be constructive when providing feedback" It does not seem to me, at least, that the moderator in this instance followed that rule. Rather than inform he/she chose to be critical of the original poster. A question was asked and no answer was given. Insted a long diatribe about how few followers the original poster had was offered, which I'm sure was quite offensive and in fact quite hurtful.
      Just my two cents worth. And I doubt they were worth two pennies...

1. SteveoMc profile image71
      SteveoMcposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ken,

I think you might have missed the point, the question was indeed answered in the first couple of posts.   How did you miss that?

Secondly, I don't go too far back, but I have been here long enough to know that no one, not one soul is ever judged by the number of followers and comments they have.   As a matter of fact, new users are often told not to worry about those numbers, they mean far less than original quality content.

Everyone here knows that success of new users is paramount to the success of the site in general.  All the regular forum contributors have a stake in the success of the writers here.  We all know that and work to the benefit of the new users, especially since we know that the road is filled with obstacles and at times can become frustrating.

The OP was given 4 quick answers to the question.  Impeccable answers with specific instructions regarding the solution to the question.

One of the 7 for Marsha appears to have been a person by the name of Ken.   It appears that person then became a member in order to post a rebuttal to a reasonable question by one of the posters.  I'm thinking that it is you.

I may be jumping to conclusions, but I thought the observations and questions raised by the poster were legitimate seeing how there are so many incidents of fraud or spam seen on the site. 

The comments simply required an explanation, I saw no intent to hurt the OP.  As a matter of fact, the poster supplied two succinct and correct options for the OP.   Then later raised the questions.   

It makes no sense to join a site like HubPages, just to enter a scolding to the posters in a forum.   

If I am mistaken, which I think not, please accept my apologies for my mistaken identity.   But I stand by the statement that I made.   

Marsha,  If you would like to explain why you were hurt or tell how the forum has helped or hampered your progress, then please do so, we would all like to know what happened and where the original comments went to.  Anyway, if you are inclined to stay and write, try to realize that a question that is veiled may be questioned.  It is ok to make a mistake, we all do.   If you want to write, I think that your hub could be changed to be more.   Try it out on the forum Extreme Hub Makeover.

7. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

The original poster only had one hub, one comment. The comment had been posted by an unregistered user minutes before this thread was even started. Apparently, the OP could not have had any old comments to delete ("get rid of"), and therefore the entire thread appeared to have been started solely for the purposes of self-promotion; which in turn would be a violation of the forum rules.

8. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

hmmmmmmm.....interesting........wonder if we'll ever solve this mystery?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)