jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

The odesk 'Readiness' test

1. Bard of Ely profile image88
    Bard of Elyposted 6 years ago

I don't know how many of you use odesk but I have been encouraged to give it another go. I originally joined back in Feb but gave up after twice failing to pass the 'Readiness' test.
    Well, I decided to give it another go and passed an American English test with flying colours getting a 97% pass but I have just failed the odesk Readiness test again for the third time. I left them some feedback saying I am a writer not on expert on answering online tests about the rules and regulations of the site. I find it very frustrating and I would think this part of the set up procedure must get rid of many people who sign up at the site!

Anyone else had the same problems as me?

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The readiness test makes some sense - just think how many people arrive on HubPages forums complaining about having Hubs unpublished etc because they haven't read the TOS. 

I found passing the test easy.  I noted down my answers as I did the test, so that if I failed I'd know which were the wrong answers (I seem to remember they told you which ones you'd got wrong at the time). 

Why not take the test again, and copy and paste the questions and answers into a Word document so you can go through and work out the answers at your leisure?

2. Len Cannon profile image89
    Len Cannonposted 6 years ago

Well, if I remember correctly, it was not too difficult if you actually read the rules.

But I wouldn't sweat it too hard. My experience with oDesk is that it isn't worth the time for professionals unless, maybe, you're a programmer or site designer. Unless you want to compete with people from the Phillipines and India for 50 cent per hundred word jobs, you'll be in bad shape.

3. Sufidreamer profile image80
    Sufidreamerposted 6 years ago

Can't help you with that one, I am afraid - I joined oDesk before they had the test, so was grandfathered in!

I believe that it is 60 minutes long, so you should have plenty of time to look up the answers (it is open book test).

Best of luck smile

4. Bard of Ely profile image88

Well, I got 3.65 out of 5 which is better than I did last time but they want 100% score which it's going to take me a lot of effort I think to pass! Yes, you can read all the rules but there are loads of them. I am pretty able to do a lot of things but this test has thrown me I am afraid. They also want a Braintech cerificate to complete my profile from 90% to 100%. I had never heard of Braintech but found and joined the site and of all the Free tests on there there were none I know much about at all. I tried Web Design but failed. Basically I was having to guess answers and got a lot wrong. A friend told me you don't need to complete your profile to get work but you do have to pass the test. It's all been very discouraging but I'll just have to keep trying with the Readiness test at odesk!

5. Bard of Ely profile image88

Thank you for this great advice, Marisa! I will have another go at it.

1. Toni Meneses profile image60
      Toni Menesesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hi, I didn't have any problem with the readiness test since it's open notes. Give it an other try, the link under the question would actually show you the part where the answer is, You just need to read and understand it,

You Can do it!!

6. Bard of Ely profile image88

Thank you for your confidence in me, Toni! I am going to do this!

Update: I failed it again twice and then had another go and passed it in 2 minutes! Try, try and try again they say, and I just did!

1. 60
      Bilaltahir4posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Congrats bard