jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (13 posts)

A Quick Comical Irony

1. Benjimester profile image89
    Benjimesterposted 6 years ago

I'm reading a book right now on tips to writing better content and the book is absolutely filled with typos.  It would make me chuckle if it wasn't so sad.  Gotta love life's little ironies smile

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image81
      Ultimate Hubberposted 6 years ago in reply to this

LOL! lol

BTW, is this an eBook or a printed one?

Benjimesterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It's printed.  I payed $17.99 for this disaster.  I'm finding an average of 1 typo every 10 pages.  It's almost unreal, like it's planned and at the end of the book he's gonna come out and say, "See what happens when you have bad content, how crazy it drives you."  Now that truly would be genius.

2. profile image0
      Rhysjcposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Ah, this is genuis big_smile

3. Lisa HW profile image82
      Lisa HWposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Kind of like all the articles on how to make money - written by people who aren't making any money.  lol

4. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Nice!

Benjimesterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Sandra!  I haven't seen you in a long time.  I hope you're well.

5. saleheensblog profile image59
      saleheensblogposted 6 years ago in reply to this

lol

2. SandyMcCollum profile image78
    SandyMcCollumposted 6 years ago

You know, I've noticed it more and more recently. It's like editors just don't do as good a job, or maybe they're hiring more people with less credentials? I don't know, but my home town news station is a weekly laugh because of typos in that little thing that runs along the bottom of the scren.

1. profile image0
      Rhysjcposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Aren't they called closed captions?

1. mrfluffy profile image60
        mrfluffyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The national press is no better the Daily Mail is famous for its typos

2. miss_jkim profile image81
      miss_jkimposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Our local news paper is an editor's nightmare! It would make for good exercise to have the local high school English class correct all the errors. LOL

I must admit that I have a proofer that reads all my hubs before I publish them. Most of the time she does a good job, but I have gone back and looked at some of them and cringed. Can we ever find ALL the mistakes?

But to actually publish a book that has typos in it is unfathomable.

3. timorous profile image91
    timorousposted 6 years ago

Accurate proof-reading is becoming a lost art.  People are in too much of a hurry to get things done and move on to the next thing.

Sometimes it's a case of seeing what you expect to see..you keep ignoring the same typo again and again, until someone else finds it.

Also, certain types of people are better at carefully sifting through details and finding fault, than others.  It takes a clear head, and a keen eye to catch everything.  Having an excellent command of the language and its' grammar and punctuation is a must.

[I hope there aren't any typos in this post] roll lol

working