Paragraph and Sentence Length

1. Benjimester profile image89
    Benjimesterposted 6 years ago

I know that copy writing experts have analyzed human preferences to show that shorter paragraphs and sentences are preferred by readers and that readers like text that's broken up in sections and headings. The question is this, do you think Google analyzes paragraph and sentence length when factoring value to a piece of content? Would Google favor one piece of content over another simply because the sentences and paragraphs were shorter and seemed to match up with what psychologists and web content experts have told us about human preferences?  It would makes sense to me I suppose.

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image79
      Ultimate Hubberposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Maybe, but one thing that Google does consider for ranking webpages is the time spent on a page by readers. So, if you can engage readers, you'll rank better. So, breaking up content is definitely an indirect ranking factor.

2. Benjimester profile image89
    Benjimesterposted 6 years ago

I suppose you're right about that, about it being more of an indirect ranking feature.  You know, it's funny because we had a long debate on another forum thread about view duration and whether or not Google used it to rank sites.  We talked about how sometimes people have multiple windows open while doing research and can really cause the average view duration to change just because they kept the window open but weren't reading the text.  Whether Google uses view duration or not, it's still a good measure.