jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (15 posts)

How can I tell if my account has been hacked?

1. Bard of Ely profile image87
    Bard of Elyposted 6 years ago

With reference to my other thread about a hub that has been copied so well that even the warning to me that it has been copied appears I am now worried that somehow my hub account has been hacked into. I just found out that if I click on the link that hubpages gave me to the site that has duplicated my hub I can navigate within it as if it was my hubpage account. I can click on profile and go there and click on my account and am in it! It is as if there is a duplicate of my hubpages account for Bard of Ely and I can access it if I am signed in here. This is very worrying as it gives access to all my affiliate settings too!
    Can anyone please explain please?
    I changed my password but that allows me to go into the duplicate site too!
    Got this reply from the owner of bwebcentral.com to whom I have complained:
    Hi,

Sorry I missed your email.

I am currently out at a job interview and will reply to you if I fail to get the position. Be prepared for my mood.

Tks.

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 6 years ago

I would ask HubPages for guidance and assistance. This seems to be a security issue for them as well.

3. Bard of Ely profile image87

Website, Examiner, thank you for your response! I am unable to understand what is going on here at all! I have found out that I am not alone with the problem because IzzyM reported this happened and that like mine you could go into the stolen hub, make changes and navigate on the site!

I changed my password here and went to have a look at this again signed in with my new password and same thing happens and I am able to go to the copied hub where I see the warning that only I am supposed to be able to read. It appears that bwebcentral has some way of linking hub accounts with their site so well that if you sign in here and follow the link given by hubpages it takes you to a duplicate of not only the hub but the rest of your account!

I have mailed the support team here but I must admit I find this very worrying yet searching for results on bwebcentral it appears to be a legitimate site with no complaints about it apart from here!

4. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 6 years ago

Bard of Ely, thank you for carefully explaining and shedding some light on this issue. I am reading through the various threads and catching up; this is really perplexing. Hopefully, an explanation will be forthcoming soon.

5. maruthirp profile image59
    maruthirpposted 6 years ago

This is very typical issue. This topic will certainly help others to keep their account secured.

6. thooghun profile image88
    thooghunposted 6 years ago

Hey Bard, are you sure they are not running Hubpages itself in a frame? Meaning that despite being on their site, you are actually just accessing Hubpages (which is not a security concern)?

1. pauldeeds profile image
      pauldeedsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That is precisely what is happening.

7. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

Thoogun is right, you are just seeing hubpages in an iframe.

Its not a problem.

8. Bard of Ely profile image87

Thoogun, I don't know anything about iframes so did not realise this could be happening! Thank you for explaining! Sunforged and Paul thank you for confirming this! I was really worried as I am sure you can imagine!

9. rmr profile image89
    rmrposted 6 years ago

So is this considered duplicate content, or a backlink? Or neither?

1. thooghun profile image88
      thooghunposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Technically, I'd assume its neither.

10. thooghun profile image88
    thooghunposted 6 years ago

No worries Bard, I hadn't seen the site, but I know it can be confusing, I was hoping that was the case!

11. profile image0
    china manposted 6 years ago

I know little about much really but - if this site is 'handling' all this stuff through its server and software - can it 'read' and store the passwords and information ?

1. sunforged profile image71
      sunforgedposted 6 years ago in reply to this

its not handling anything through its server, its an inline frame - kind of like a browser within the browser

its just a box that displays another location

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I have seen Terms of Service for websites that expressly prohibit displaying them in these kinds of frames. No wonder.

working