jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Length of Hub

1. CJStone profile image91
    CJStoneposted 8 years ago

I've just posted a very large hub. Don't know exactly but it must be in the region of 8-10,000 words. It took about 5 hours just to assemble it. Is this too long do you think? I thought of breaking it down, but then it seemed too complex to make sure they were being read in the right order. Any advice anyone? Has anyone else tried posting larger, more complex hubs? If so, what was the response?

1. darkside profile image83
      darksideposted 8 years ago in reply to this

How many 'chapters' do you have?

Maybe publish it as a 'hub book'?

You could use the Link capsule as a Table of Contents to link to each chapter. Also use Groups and arrange them so they're in order.

If appropriate, each hub can have a Comments Capsule so people can give feekback or ask questions specific to each 'hub chapter'. Otherwise there may be too many questions to ask and people could lose track of what's going on if it was just one.

1. CJStone profile image91
        CJStoneposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I was trying to think how to do this, which order to publish in, since there are seven "sections". Should I publish the last first and work backwards, therefore I have a link for the one before? In the end my brain seized up trying to work it out and I went with publishing in one go. It still took five hours to assemble it and get it all up though as I broke it down into capsules, and put individual pictures with each one. I think the end result is pretty good, what I puzzle about it people's ability to read stuff on-line. I know I find it hard.

That's for the advice folks.

No, 'm not too concerned about money Misha.

2. thranax profile image60
    thranaxposted 8 years ago

Well I guess its mostly opinion. But most people want to the point shorter hubs (like 2,000 words max). Although if you make a good long hub of your topic you need a really diehard reader to read it all. I think most go with shorter hubs but having one or two long long hubs might not be a bad thing. If i draw more conclusions i'll tell ya but im sure short ones are best in the long run. smile

3. Bonnie Ramsey profile image88
    Bonnie Ramseyposted 8 years ago

Hi, CJ!

I am about to go hunt down this hub and I can't wait to read it! I actually posted a very long hub as it was a short story and it seemed to do very well. It still gets some traffic which is nice since it has been up for quite some time now. I believe if the quality of the writing is good and it is something that the reader is interested in, it won't matter if it is long. JMHO. I am going to find it now!

4. Eric Graudins profile image59
    Eric Graudinsposted 8 years ago

I'm not aware that there is a technical limit for the length of a hub.

If its a story that needs to be read in sequence, I'd say to leave it as one hub.

That's exactly the type of reader that CJStone is writing for, and he's attracting quite a few of them :-)
    Including me.

1. Bonnie Ramsey profile image88
      Bonnie Ramseyposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I agree, Eric! And I am now one of those diehard reading fans as well. I was so in awe of his story that I didn't move from my seat to go smoke until I had finished every word, left a comment, joined his fan club and left fan mail! lol. For someone who is breaking down from 2 1/2 to 3 pks per day, that is pretty good! Especially since it was time for another when I started reading it! I can only hope that he will pump out one of these each day and I can quit smoking in no time! Great work, CJ and just keep writing because there are fans who will read it if it is a million words long!

5. Misha profile image74
    Mishaposted 8 years ago

I think it is fine if your goal is just to deliver your message to your readers. If you are also thinking about money, however, you need to split this hub into 5-10 smaller ones.