jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)

Divorce rates drop if men do their fair share of ‘home’ work.

1. emdi profile image74
    emdiposted 6 years ago

I recently read an article about divorse rate and role of husbands. I am just curious to know the the openion of people in this community

If you are interested, you can read the article here

http://www.fmwf.com/media-type/news/201 … 0%99-work/

2. megs78 profile image60
    megs78posted 6 years ago

Its just common sense.  What happened in the 60's was that the women started to go to work and after generations of being the homemaker and the man being the bread winner, women expected men to just dig in and pick up the slack.  when that didn't happen, divorces happened.  now after the initial shell shock of those men, husbands and fathers have become much more hands on and helpful in the home.  the evolution just needed some time.

3. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 6 years ago

...well...as well...the laws (in Canada) used to make it difficult for women to get out of abusive situations...used to be you had to prove emotional, physical abuse etc...not now...now women can get out of a bad, bad marriage...

there are many, many reasons for divorce...not just housework and helping rear children, etc. etc.

there is lots of adultery as well.....

4. prettydarkhorse profile image65
    prettydarkhorseposted 6 years ago

division of labor or lay - then bore. The major cause of divorce is infidelity hiding under the reason  - irreconcilable differences

5. frogdropping profile image83
    frogdroppingposted 6 years ago

I didn't care overmuch whether my ex-husband did his fair share or not. None of that would have mattered one jot if he'd have ever bothered noticing that I was more than just 'the wife'. For the record, he rarely if ever lifted a finger.

Of course many women want a bit more equality in the home, and I can understand that. Why not share the housework? More so when both go out to work.

I prefer to be left alone to 'keep house'. I have my own little groove going on when it comes to housework, and I will remain ever in love with hoovering.

And I'm soooooo not a nag smile

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 6 years ago in reply to this

...i'm buying you a dyson  for xmas! ..... how's Boo? smile

1. frogdropping profile image83
        frogdroppingposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'll be waiting! And Boo is broken. Never to be fixed. She's lucky that I like Really Rubbish Dogs lol

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
          SomewayOuttaHereposted 6 years ago in reply to this

...i'll send a dawg too....it might help make Boo smarter....

have a good day!

6. schoolgirlforreal profile image76
    schoolgirlforrealposted 6 years ago

good to have divorce, separation for many reasons
    many I think don't try to make it work, like some celebrities perhaps? lol

7. jcmayer777 profile image80
    jcmayer777posted 6 years ago

I've read just the opposite in other studies...

The one I read was that men now do more than 50% in most homes.  While the woman typically did (I think) 60% of the traditional house work, men traditionally did the lawn, shoveled the driveway, stained the deck, power washed the siding, etc. 

You could do 50 studies and never get the same results twice. I have to agree that most of it's just common sense.  There are waaaay more pressing issues in marriage failure than division of housework, in my opinion.

Spoken just like a typical man....

8. John Holden profile image59
    John Holdenposted 6 years ago

After I'd split from my partner a mutual friend came round to see me. After several cups of tea my friend asked me if I did my own housework or did I have help, only ----- was always going on about how she had to do all the house work and tidying up after you, how you never lifted a finger to help.
    Well why is it that you're no longer in the house, it's a total pig sty and that's with her having a cleaner in twice a week whereas your flat is as clean and tidy as the house used to be and you don't have any help?

She also always did all the cooking, though she did have a little help, like I'd do all the prep, stirring and turning, laying the table,serving up, clearing the table, making a drink, do the washing up and all that.