jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Google analytics bounce rate: meaningless for Hubpage

1. codehub profile image59
    codehubposted 6 years ago

Per Google help

"Bounce rate is the percentage of single-page visits or visits in which the person left your site from the entrance (landing) page. "

This indicates that if the visitor proceeds to another hubpage without your code on it, its a bounce,

if they click thru to amazon , its a bounce

The only way it will not be a bouce is if they proceed to another hubpage with your ga code from that same gA account, and that same GA profile

Is this correct?

1. shazwellyn profile image84
      shazwellynposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The way I see it, is that an average is taken from content listed for your publisher number.  This is what makes your stats individual.  It calculates time on your pages and averages this across the board.

If you are in this for adsense clicks, it is beneficial to have a high bounce rate because the chances are that readers have seen an ad that has been appropriate to what they are looking for and have clicked away from your page.

If you are here for creative reasons, primarily, then a high bounce rate is not good.  Why?  Because people are finding your writing boring and want to navigate away as quickly as possible.

I am sure that others can help you further with this explanation - this is just how I see it.

p.s. If the click is to Amazon it is a bounce, I believe.  It is any link that clicks away from your web page.

2. anna20 profile image60
      anna20posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes, you are write. they should visit other pages also. then the bounce rate will be less.

2. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 6 years ago

You are correct.

There is some validity to Shaz's point about creative reasons, but on the other hand there are so many related links in the side bar, a visitor may be quite happy with you and still go elsewhere.

There are a number of hubs that discuss bounce rate in more detail  and plenty of forum threads too.

3. codehub profile image59
    codehubposted 6 years ago

i've used GA for a while and it was weird to see 5/90/100 % bounce rates for every page

its being theorised elsewhere that this could affect google traffic, i guess google knows why hubpages would have high bounce rate figures

1. Pcunix profile image89
      Pcunixposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Some of my highest p/v pages (tens of thousand per month span of years) have 90% and above bounce rates and have been in the top three or four SERP forever.  Some of my high earners also show high bounce rates.