jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Length of Hub part 2

1. CJStone profile image90
    CJStoneposted 8 years ago

After trying an extra long hub I've decided to make the next larger opus into a series of linked hubs. How would I go about that? Should I post one a day over a succession of days to establish the sequence, and then, when they're all up, add in the links? Eash one could have a link box showing where you are in the sequnce. Has anyone else done this? Does it work. The long piece was too long and put a strain on readers I think. Now I think 2-21/2 thousand words is enough. What's the longest hub ever written?

2. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 8 years ago

I've seen "Title: part one", "Same Title: part two" etc. I think the links would be a good idea, and you could subtitle the parts.

I have been thinking about this too, since I have a long hub idea as well. I will be interested to hear what others think or have done.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image82
      Maddie Ruudposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I'd recommend titling each hub more specifically and then linking them together through groups and/or link capsules, and creating a "master hub" or table of contents.  "Part 1" and "Part 2" type titles don't tend to optimize in search engines.

3. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 8 years ago

I don't know what the longest written is. I have a few around 2500 words which I considered about the max at the time i wrote them.

Breaking them into parts is a good idea. But when you publish them makes no difference I think. Each page here seems to stand alone and there is no easy way of creating a heirarchy other than using the groups.

4. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 8 years ago

Aha!  Thanks for that info. Obviously, I wasn't thinking about search engines.

5. CJStone profile image90
    CJStoneposted 8 years ago

That probably makes me the HubMaster in terms of legnth then. My Beyond the Forest one was - I think - in the region of 10,000 words. But, like I say, I think it put a strain on readers. I'm going to have a go at posting the first of the linked series this afternoon.

6. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

I've read several times that on the internet, people lose interest after about 1,500 words.  Personally, I do get irritated after I've scrolled down the page two or three times. 

You could try splitting the story up along the lines of the Capstone Hub program - i.e. several Hubs with one Hub summarising and linking to them all. 

I know it would be laborious to do, but you could add a Links capsule to each Hub listing all the other Hubs in the series (in the right order, of course).

Or you could do both!

I read your long Transylvania Hub and it's begging to be broken up into separate chapters.  That would give you a chance to label each section more specifically, too.

7. Inspirepub profile image86
    Inspirepubposted 8 years ago

It needn't be laborious - just tag them all with a particular tag and use the RSS capsule (tag feed sorted by latest, not hot or best). That means if you want them to show in the correct order in the feed you need to publish them in reverse order. Which means to avoid mass confusion you should publish them all at once.