jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

ACCC gives eBay the finger

1. Inspirepub profile image87
    Inspirepubposted 8 years ago

The Australian Consumer and Competition Commission has issued a draft ruling that eBay's controversial "PayPal only" policy is anti-competitive and may not be implemented.

EBay will not be granted immunity from Australia's tough laws against "third line forcing" - it is illegal to force your customers to also use the services of a third party in order to be allowed to use yours, and eBay had to apply for immunity in order to implement their "PayPal only" policy.

eBay has 30 days to respond before the ruling becomes final, but unless they have a large supply of legal rabbits left in their hat, that particular policy is down in flames in Australia.

http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.ph … mId/831476

Go the Aussies!

2. darkside profile image84
    darksideposted 8 years ago

Woo hoo!

3. Lissie profile image85
    Lissieposted 8 years ago

Nice one ACCC

4. Inspirepub profile image87
    Inspirepubposted 8 years ago

Hopefully there won't be a major reversal during the comments period.

It seems they have allowed eBay to require people to offer PayPal as an option. But then, that's not as offensive as trying to make PayPal the only possible option.

It will be interesting to see how the rest of world deals with it.

5. bjjp profile image60
    bjjpposted 8 years ago

I am from the US but I agree with your country's ruling. I once tried to allow buyers a chance to pay by e-gold or e-bullion and Ebay would not allow it. I think it should be our choice. The reason Ebay does that is because they own PayPal so they are getting paid twice when a transaction is made. The only other choices we get is check or money order and most people do not like to wait for their money. I wish the US would do something like that too. If every country ruled the same way Ebay would be forced to abide by the rulings.

6. Peter M. Lopez profile image91
    Peter M. Lopezposted 8 years ago

I'm not entirely sure ebay would be so immune here in the US, though, if someone filed an antitrust action making those same claims.  Has anyone ever tried?