jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Do you Use Mobile Broadband? If so which one? Is it unlimited,........

1. Diane Inside profile image88
    Diane Insideposted 5 years ago

My husband and I will be out on a big truck for weeks at a time and I need to find a good mobile broadband network, that is unlimited access if possible or at least allows for abundant use at a flat fee.

I have been doing some searching on line but I am not sure what it means when they say 5GB limit. etc.

So far I have not seen any unlimited plans and one flat rate.

So I thought I would ask here, since I know you all know how much I would like to be able to access hubpages on the road. We are located in U.S.

I appreciate any help you can give me.

1. topgunjager profile image60
      topgunjagerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Use virgin mobile, I bought the usb unit at a best buy store for $99 and I pay $40 a month for unlimited service, I use mine for streaming movies from netflix all the time and it works great. There's no contract and you don't have to pay for the month you're not using. If you don't pay the service will be cut off and will be up and running again as soon as you pay for the service.

Diane Insideposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, topgun, are you using Virgin in the US I was just wondering because I was under the impression that Virgin was not accessible everywhere here.

I could be wrong though, I just really wasn't sure.

I do like the idea of  buying usb unit and a monthly fee for unlimited that is just what I was looking for.

Thanks again.

1. topgunjager profile image60
          topgunjagerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes i am using it in the US, I just got mine last month and I'm about to pay for the second month. I think that 5 gig limit you were talking about is equivalent to 5 streaming movies which is not a whole lot, I watch movies every night and it works out great. You don't even have to use your own credit card, you can buy a pre paid card to load in your account to have unlimited access. And best of all, it works just like a cellphone, you can have internet access even if you're on the road in a moving car.

Okay topgun thanks alot, that sounds perfect for what I am looking for especially when on the road I want access, as much as possible and free wifi, isn't always there, so this seems to be the best bet.

I appreciate your info, and will definately be looking into this very soon.

2. Denise Handlon profile image89
        Denise Handlonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks   I'm checking this out as well.

Diane--I use verizon broadband.  It also has 5 G   there are three in our household using it so it does not get too far before I am at the limit.

It is very,very frustrating.

2. Bill Manning profile image70
    Bill Manningposted 5 years ago

I use a Sprint mobile card when I go on vacations. I can get a signal most anywhere. Often it's broadband but in remote areas it's basically dial up speed.

Almost all have a 5 gig. limit. That is the total bandwidth usage you can use in a month. If your not watching movies that is plenty.

However if you do watch streaming movies you'll go through it fast. I pay 60 bucks a month for mine. smile

3. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image93
    EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 5 years ago

When I was driving OTR, I had Verizon broadband and it worked great. The 5GB limit applies to downloads (and uploads), not just time online. I never particularly downloaded anything when I was driving, so I don't know if Verizon has a limit. I never had any problem getting or staying online and there are plenty of free streaming sites that you can use for movies, sports, TV, etc. instead of downloading files, so it's not an issue, regardless.

Okay I see, thanks EYE, Its good to know I know verizon is one of the better companies as far as signal strength in this area.

4. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

I use mobile broadband and I am stuck with a 5Gb limit too (and I'm across the Pond from you). However, what I do is use my mobile broadband for all every day use - and I am online at least 12 hours per day - and it is more than enough so long as I do not download movies. Use wi-fi hotspots for any heavy downloading. I assume if you are on the road you have a laptop with wireless capabilities. Just make sure that wherever you park up for the night has free wi-fi and do your downloading then. Live streaming needs a really fast connection - why not download to your HDD for watching later?

5. Jen's Solitude profile image87
    Jen's Solitudeposted 5 years ago

I have written about my experience with T-mobile. It also has a 5G limit, which I reach quite easily. My plan is unlimited in that when the 5G limit is reached my processor speed slows down, but I am still able to access it. Wifi is a nice alternative and T-mobile is very accessible. They charge $50 for the unlimited coverage for new customers.