jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

1. 61
    Shirly Agullanoposted 5 years ago

Hi All
    I'm very new to HP. I joined a few days ago and have not written a hub yet.
    The reason is that I have access to a lot of research material which I could use to write my hubs. But having read the rules about plagiarism on another writing website, I'm a bit wary of using the research material I have access to and rephrasing content, citing sources etc.
    Please can you clarify and maybe I can actually start writing a hub.

Your input would be really helpful. Thank you.

2. 0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

As far as copyright, it is an issue of fair use under US copyright law. Even though you stay within fair use, you could still run into problems with duplicate content on HubPages, if significant parts of your article are found elsewhere on the Internet.

In practice:
    - Write in your own words when ever possible;
    - Quote conservatively to avoid being flagged by the duplicate content filter;
    - Cite sources.

Also, check out this recent thread, where similar issues were being discussed:

1. 0
      TopUniverseposted 5 years ago in reply to this

What is this?

Quote conservatively to avoid being flagged by the duplicate content filter

I am new to IM and don't know about it.

1. 0
        Website Examinerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

TopUniverse, the "fair use doctrine" under US copyright law - similarly laws and customs elsewhere - permits quoting from sources to some extent, such as when writing a review or an academic report.

If the Original Poster quoted two paragraphs each from 5 different sources, this might not be a problem from a copyright (plagiarism) perspective. The reason is that each of the quotes play a proportionate role for the article as a whole.

However, if the article consists of 20 paragraphs in total, the OP may actually have copied 50% of the contents - namely half is original text, half is quotes. The HubPages filter will see a 50% duplicate rate, and the hub may be flagged as duplicate content.

Therefore, even though copyright laws permit quoting to some fairly significant extent, it is advisable to restrict doing so due to internal HubPages rules concerning duplicate content.

3. paradigmsearch profile image89
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

Wow! W.E.'s link says it all! Excellent to know.smile

4. sofs profile image86
    sofsposted 5 years ago

That is some awesome advise to a newbie... hats off to you WE, I am pretty new too and am learning...
    I am just writing a review and these thoughts were crossing my mind as I am quoting a fair chunk of the text in question, I am fascinated by it..  and here i see your explanation... thank you all the same.
    Will keep your suggestions in mind!