jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)

Real Life Referrals

1. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 5 years ago

I've already got three friends who regularly hub on the site.

Just wondering if anyone has taken referrals to a wider area such as advertising.

There are always "Great way to make money, choose your own hours, great for students" kind of adverts on community notice boards, small sales catalogues etc...

Has anyone tried this or see a reason this wouldn't be a good idea?

2. 0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

If and when they cannot make any money as advertised, they will come back looking at you. Problem is, you will need to face them real-time. Making money online is largely a myth. Only those who, like yourself, put in an enormous effort will succeed. HubPages is not really a profitable place to belong to, so why would you want to advertise it as such?

1. earner profile image85
      earnerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I absolutely disagree that Hubpages is not a profitable place to belong to.

I will accept it is exceedingly hard work, from scratch, to keep motivated and get to a stage where it's pulling in money - however - with a straight forward hard work ethic, some focus, hanging around/learning tips/tricks/tweaks it is genuinly (imho) possible for a person without prior experience to earn a full-time income from Hubs within 3 years without trying too hard, without paying a penny/cent.

WryLiltposted 5 years ago in reply to this

True, but how many people do you know who want to *pardon the french* work?

1. 0
          Website Examinerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That's the thing, and what I meant. I think people who sign up via a local bulletin board and such are likely to act impulsively, and not be prepared for the kind of work it takes.

Maybe it would be better to send them to your blog or a hub with the appropriate information, then post the sign-up (affiliate) link there.

3. kids-toy-box profile image59
    kids-toy-boxposted 5 years ago

It would be like advertising any product-dont sell what the product cant deliver. Like The Website Examiner has advised it is not an overnight money machine but alot of hard work. I have mentioned to my realife friends what I have been doing and how I do it and two of them have also joined but dont have the will to continue.Each have just left it at one hub.

4. CMHypno profile image89
    CMHypnoposted 5 years ago

My one real life referral didn't even sign up through my referral tracker and is still sitting at nil hubs!

It's a great idea, but a lot of people are looking for a 'no effort, quick money' and we all know how much work and how long it takes to squeeze the pence out, before the pounds start flowing in.  Lots of my friends laughed when I was so proud of having made 15p in one day!

5. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 5 years ago

Thanks for the feedback but... was hoping to go more for the writers angle. I will put some more thought into it before doing anything then!

1. CMHypno profile image89
      CMHypnoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Maybe it would be more successful from the writers angle, stressing the ease of publishing, the community, and the views you get from being part of HubPages

6. darkside profile image84
    darksideposted 5 years ago

Done right, HubPages is profitable. And honestly, it's not hard to do it right.

Some people have run Adwords campaigns to get traffic to landing pages and it has worked for them.

Provided you aren't promising anything unobtainable, there's not much that can go wrong. It's not as if it's costing anyone anything to sign up.

Thanks for the positive feedback. I've got no problem stating upfront that it's not a get rich quick scheme - as someone who explored lots of those options I believe that many people would probably prefer something which doesn't promise thousands in a few months and doesn't involve phoning all your friends - you get out what you put in, not how many friends you can pressure into it!

7. kephrira profile image60
    kephriraposted 5 years ago

I started putting some real effort into getting referrals a couple of months ago and have had some success. I have a hub about the best ways I have found on my latest hubs list on my profile if you are interested.

I think hubpages is a great opportunity for making money, just not quick money, so as long as you don't sell it as a get rich quick type thing I don't see what's wrong with it.

Of course most referrals either never publish anything or only publish one or two hubs, but I'm signing up around 2 people a day on average at the moment, and it does add up if you can do that.

Yes I've already had quite a bit of success with online referring (at last count my referrals had written about 280 hubs between them), but I thought the more people I can get involved and the more ways I can find to do that, the better. Thanks, I'll check out the hub!

8. EmpressFelicity profile image84
    EmpressFelicityposted 5 years ago

I had a look at my referral tracker thingy just now and wondered why in over a year's membership, I haven't managed to refer any new HP members despite supposedly having a link in my profile.  On closer examination, it turned out I'd made a cock up and the link led somewhere else completely.  D'oh!