jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Needing Some Critiques and Suggestions!

1. lillm profile image60
    lillmposted 5 years ago

I just joined Hubpages a few days ago. I've produced a few hubs at this point, and I'd like to know if I'm on the right track. I can already say that my use of pictures needs some work - I'm still doing some research on how to find them legally. Any and all comments/critiques/suggestions are welcome!

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Prepare- … nning-Race

1. Sullen91 profile image82
      Sullen91posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I skimmed your hub on trail running. I don't know much about the other aspects of the ideal hub, but you write very well.

2. travelespresso profile image82
      travelespressoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hello and welcome to Hubpages.

I read your yoga hub and I really like the pace of your writing.  You have a lot of information in the hub and I would like to see you break it up a little more with more capsules and headings.  I agree with the other hubbers about adding more pictures.

Aside from that a great start.  I hope you enjoy it here.

2. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 5 years ago

I think you have a good beginning with some good information.  Suggestions, though:

Increase the length of the first text capsule - it is too short for the adsense ad that wants to go there.  Use the "preview" function to see when it is long enough.

Decrease the length of the second text capsule, bringing the second adsense ad up higher in the hub.  Perhaps break it into several capsules, making sure that the titles

Bring the Amazon ad up higher, certainly above the links where people can leave without seeing it at all.  Keep the ads as high up in the hub as possible.

Some text links, to your other work could probably worked into the text very well, and perhaps a RSS feed to your own work at the end.

You need more tags, perhaps 10 - 12 total.

As you mentioned, some more pics would be nice.

A very good start - keep up the good work!

1. lillm profile image60
      lillmposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The advice about ad and capsule placement is really helpful - that's the stuff that's hard to figure out in the beginning I think. I will definitely add tags, pictures, and links to my work. Thanks so much for your help!

3. Cagsil profile image82
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Welcome to HubPages! smile

I've reviewed both hubs and each has room for improvement.

(a) Use more text capsules to break up your text and form small paragraphs. Your readers are likely to have a short attention span and if you have smaller paragraphs, then you're not likely to lose your reader or bore them.
    (b) Use more pictures.
    (c) You could add in other capsules like an RSS feed or poll.
    (d) Keywords/tags should range between 9-15 for articles up 1500 words and up 40 for articles longer than 1500 words.

Here are a few hubs to help you out:

Darkside covers HubPages and offers a unique understanding.

Relache wrote a great article about earning from writing.

Sunforged wrote many articles about SEO(search engine optimization)- Keyword Tips.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Get-Website-Tra … -earn-from

And, last but not least- Shazwellyn has many articles on SEO also.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-SEO-Onli … ve-Writing
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Online-Creative … ck-Linking

That should get you started. smile Do have a great time here. smile

1. lillm profile image60
      lillmposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the suggestions! I think the layout/capsule placement/paragraph breakdown is definitely an area I need to focus on. I'm going to add some capsules and keywords/tags as well. And thanks for all the reading recommendations, there's no better way to learn than from other Hubbers. I really appreciate your advice!

1. Cagsil profile image82
        Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You're welcome. smile