jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Brand names in hubpages (not URL but pages)

1. authorfriendly profile image82
    authorfriendlyposted 5 years ago

Does any body know how hubpages and/or adsense feels about brand names in articles? In ones that are light on the reviews, but long on the sales (ie. 10 things to buy her for Valentine's day), if you are linking on amazon or ebay to, say, Godiva Chocolate, or a Kindle, would you have to use some form of trademark symbol after the brand name? If so, how would you go about doing it on hubpages? Thanks. I already know not to put it in the URL.  Also, when researching mine i saw several hubs that used product pictures, from Amazon which looked much nicer than the ad capsules, whats up with that?

2. 0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

The need for trademark symbols appears most relevant in advertisements, where there could be confusion about who owns the brand name being advertised and other brand names being mentioned in that context. I don't see any legal foundation for requiring trademark symbols to be displayed in an informative or review article.

authorfriendlyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

with hub pages its a fine line between advertising and reviewing it seems..

3. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 5 years ago

In regards to amazon pictures - I often personally just place a larger picture of the item on my hub in a photo capsule with the amazon capsule beside it. Is that what you mean?

authorfriendlyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes, I would like to do that, but do we have automatic permission, when we have an amazon account? Its not likely a creative commons type situation...

2. Mikeydoes profile image79
      Mikeydoesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That seems like a win, win idea.

4. GmaGoldie profile image85
    GmaGoldieposted 5 years ago

I always try to give the two maximum links when I use a photo. It seems only fair for the work they put into the photo.  Yes, I "assume"  Amazon is "automatic permission".

eBay, on the other hand, I have been asking for permission.  With eBay, the photo disappears after the listing so retaining that image separate is critical.

I just finished asking for about 5-10 photos out on eBay.  It will be interesting to see the various responses.

So far, I have never been turned down for a photo request.  Once, they asked for money and I said goodbye quickly and politely.