jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)

Can hubs be successful without pictures?

1. Tarin profile image60
    Tarinposted 6 years ago

Are pictures mandatory for a successful hub?  Do article style hubs work or do hubs need to be multi-capsule to be a success?

I haven't seen any successful hubs with no pictures.

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think so. When reading on the internet, a solid chunk of text is indigestible - your readers lose interest more quickly than on a printed page.  Images help to break up the text and keep the on the page.

It's not that hard - for a start, there's a huge range of Creative Commons Licensed photos on Flickr.

They need to be multi-capsule to allow HubPages to optimise your advertising placements, even if you don't add photos etc yourself.

2. 0
      ankigarg87posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes hub can be successful without pictures.As i see many hubs of score 100 are without pictures.

1. WryLilt profile image86
        WryLiltposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Oh really? Would you care to point those ones out?

I'm sure if they don't have pictures they use other media such as videos, polls, quizes etc to keep the reader's interest.

1. Mikeydoes profile image80
          Mikeydoesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thats what I assume. It seems like your score is more based on how many tabs you have. Whether it is a picture or text or video, the more the higher the score. Thats what it seems like to me looking at my hubs.

I really can improve all of my hubs greatly, but I'm going to, at least not at this moment. Think I'm just going to make more, because I'm starting to think that score isn't as important as people are making it out to be either.

1. livewithrichard profile image85
            livewithrichardposted 6 years ago in reply to this

This is true. I have several hubs that are in the high 60's that earn more than hubs I have in the 80's and 90's.  The lower scoring hubs I have are product sales hubs specifically optimized for Amazon or Ebay.  My higher scoring hubs are generally optimized for adsense and contain many elements to keep readers on page. When they have absorbed all they can from my page they click away, preferably through an adsense ad.

2. WryLilt profile image86
            WryLiltposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Mikey well said. "I'm starting to think that score isn't as important as people are making it out to be either."

It's really an indication.

I have a couple of hubs which many would judge as 'short'. However they get a high amount of traffic because they give people the answers they are searching for. I believe that as long as the hub is written well and provides the reader with what they're looking for, how many random pictures and other things are thrown in isn't important.

That said I also have some hubs with ten or more pictures.

2. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

Welcome to HubPages! smile

To answer your questions:

Can Hubs be successful without pictures? Not likely.

Are pictures mandatory for a successful hub? Well, "success" is defined by each person's own perspective, so that makes it subjective and based on one's effort. However, this question results in the same question in your title of the thread.

Do article style hubs work or do hubs need to be multi-capsule to be a success? Yes, articles are what you write to begin with. Your hubs should be no less than 400-500 at minimum. And, Yes, you are better off using more than one capsule in one hub.

Writing on Hubpages comes from two reasons (a) write to write or (b) write to earn. Either way, you require traffic to your hubs, and the more content in your hub and of good quality, then you will get search engine traffic without a problem.

There happens to be a lot more too it than what I just said, but that would require you to read about another 10 hubs, all based on writing online for earnings to SEO(search engine optimization) techniques to use.

Since you're new, I would stick with reading other people's hubs and reviewing the different sort of layouts used. Use the "search" function to find everything you need.

I hope you enjoy your time here. smile

1. 0
      TopUniverseposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for some good advice.

3. Mikeydoes profile image80
    Mikeydoesposted 6 years ago

I try to throw one picture on there, it seems to help the ratings the more pictures you have.

4. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 6 years ago

Out of some 85 hubs, I have written only 2 without photos, and most have at least the minimum of 5 necessary for a slide show.  I think they help, and I get a few clicks from the slide shows as well.

5. livewithrichard profile image85
    livewithrichardposted 6 years ago

Any element that keeps readers on your page longer will help in the long run. Time on page factors into page rank and a higher PR will translate into higher traffic and earnings if the page is monetized.

6. katiem2 profile image60
    katiem2posted 6 years ago

People are very visual and pictures evoke feelings in people, you want to create a feeling and pictures do so...  A picture is worth a thousand words!  smile

7. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago

I always make sure my hubs have at least one photograph and, if I can find one that fits, at least one video also.

working