jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (30 posts)

Do you write a custom summary for your hub or keep the standard one?

1. Peter-Jan Celis profile image60
    Peter-Jan Celisposted 6 years ago

Hi,

The title says it all.

I am wondering whether the standard summary Hubpages recommend is good enough or whether one should write a good summary for each hub.

Thanks!

1. saleheensblog profile image59
      saleheensblogposted 6 years ago in reply to this

well, if you don't write a summary text the first 30-35 words of you hub will be automatically taken as the meta description. So if you write first couple of lines carefully keeping your keywords in mind you can avoid writing a summary text.

1. saleheensblog profile image59
        saleheensblogposted 6 years ago in reply to this

But make sure you haven't set an image on top of the page as image caption will also form a part of the summary when taken automatically.

2. Neil Ashworth profile image60
      Neil Ashworthposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I've recently been testing this on a couple of hubs which had reached page one of Google for keywords I was targeting - one was in fact at number 1 for a competitive term. Since providing the summary text/description myself and attempting to make it short and snappy the hub has dropped in search to number 3 or 4 dependent on day and location etc. From an seo point of view this shouldn't be the case I know but with Google's algorithm changing all the time and some arguing that traffic plays a part in SERPs I wonder...

Now, the hub had been topping search for over 6 months and nothing else has been done to it so from my experience I would say to leave well alone - let the search engines drag a description in from your title, and content.

1. livewithrichard profile image85
        livewithrichardposted 6 years ago in reply to this

LOL Neil the lesson here should be if you're on top already, DO Nothing.  If you're hub is not on page one of Google for your targeted keywords then tweak away.

If you're first paragraph contains your targeted keywords then you really don't need a unique summary.  If you made the "no keywords in the opening paragraph newbie to SEO blunder" smile Then the unique summary would be a good place to start tweaking.

The calculated summary will take anything that is in the first capsule so if there is anything there other than text then you need to work on the unique summary.

1. Neil Ashworth profile image60
          Neil Ashworthposted 6 years ago in reply to this

LOL! Yep, lesson learned Richard ;-) I'm a bit like an artist who can't quite leave the bloody picture alone!

1. viryabo profile image87
            viryaboposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yep! That's me alright.

3. Barbara Kay profile image84
      Barbara Kayposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I wasn't aware that we could do our own summary. Thanks for bringing the topic to our attention.

1. Peter-Jan Celis profile image60
        Peter-Jan Celisposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Glad I could help.

2. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 6 years ago

I'm too lazy, but if you are not, you probably should do that.  Automated picks aren't always the best.

3. travelespresso profile image85
    travelespressoposted 6 years ago

I usually custom write the summary.  Occasionally its close to my first sentence but not always.

4. 0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 6 years ago

wow. this is going to be stupid...there is a standard summary on our hubs? I had no idea..I need to go look at mine again.....they may need editing.  sad  and I was so happy I just finally figured out the spell check, now this?

1. SmartAndFun profile image92
      SmartAndFunposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I just learned about the summary a week or two ago after reading a hub by WryLilt. For some of my hubs the first few sentences summed them up well, but others really benefitted from a customized summary. It is super easy to write your own summary, you just need to know where to click to get to it. Here's the hub that taught me how, plus it teaches a few other basics that are good to know, if you don't already know them.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Quick-Tips-For- … n-Hubpages

5. SmartAndFun profile image92
    SmartAndFunposted 6 years ago

I don't think that link is working. I'll try again. I am really bad with this type of thing.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Quick-Tips-For- … n-Hubpages

1. 0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 6 years ago in reply to this

cool. thanks to you and wry lilt.  smile always something new to learn, huh?

1. SmartAndFun profile image92
        SmartAndFunposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Oh yes, and I have tons more to learn, slowly but surely!  I am really thankful for all the nice hubbers who have helped me out!  smile

6. Ign Andy profile image59
    Ign Andyposted 6 years ago

I usually customized my summary: composing few sentences which contain the keywords.

7. lisabeaman profile image86
    lisabeamanposted 6 years ago

I don't always do this... but I think it's a good idea. Especially if your first paragraph is more of an attention grabber. It may not have the keywords that someone searching for that topic is looking for. Look at the summary from how a web surfer would see it. If the auto one would help a reader click on your hub, then it's fine. If not... write something that will help them decide.

Now I should probably go back and practice what I just preached! Thanks for the reminder! smile

8. Dolores Monet profile image92
    Dolores Monetposted 6 years ago

When I remember, I like to create a customized summary that tells the searcher that my hub has pictures and videos. Also, my first paragraph does not always include all the key words, and is often a bit too generic.

9. minnow profile image83
    minnowposted 6 years ago

I am so embarrassed.  I used to be able to write my own summaries, which I liked better than the ones that were automatically generated.  I have lost that capability.  What am I doing wrong?

I also can't generate slide shows anymore.

Any thoughts?

Minnow

1. daybreak profile image68
      daybreakposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I had been creating custom descriptions as well but the option seemed to disappear a few weeks ago. It sounds like maybe this feature has been disabled?

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It is still there.  While in edit, look off to the right - one of the options is to change the summary, set the group, etc.  Look hard - it took me a few minutes to find it again this morning.

Slide shows - I haven't seen a change.  You're aware it takes at least 5 pics to make a slide show?

1. minnow profile image83
          minnowposted 6 years ago in reply to this

thanks--I found it again.  the summary feature used to be in the left upper corner, now it's on the right.  thank you!  thank you!  thank you!

1. wilderness profile image96
            wildernessposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You're welcome.  It took me a while after the change to find it as well.

2. daybreak profile image68
          daybreakposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks!

It is hard to find, it's a small link marked "summary".

10. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 6 years ago

I nearly always write my own.  Occasionally the first few words will fit well, but that "introduction" to the hub often isn't what will bring a reader to it in the first place.  Or so I think much of the time.

11. lakeerieartists profile image78
    lakeerieartistsposted 6 years ago

I write a unique summary, but often use the text in my first capsule.    I like to control exactly what goes in the summary though.

12. TopOfTheFirstPage profile image60
    TopOfTheFirstPageposted 6 years ago

I always recommend crafting your own summary. It is what people see first about your hub when browsing HubPages. It also forms the "meta description" which search engines often (but not always) use as the site description on their search results pages. It doesn't directly affect your rankings, since the engines long ago realized how easy that is to game. However, it can affect your click through, aka the likelihood people will click on your hub.

Saleheensblog made a good point about image descriptions being used in the automatic summaries. When browsing other hubs, I've been confused by phrase fragments in the summaries which I only later realized were the image captions. It can actually make the hub look spammy, like it's just a lump of keyphrases strung together!

13. LindaJM profile image81
    LindaJMposted 6 years ago

The summary is very important... use your keywords in it, just like you do in your title. Yes, I create a summary for my hubs rather than relying on the standard, though in my case the standard would do because I always use keywords in the first sentence of my hubs.

14. Peter-Jan Celis profile image60
    Peter-Jan Celisposted 6 years ago

Thanks everybody for the replies.

I have updated my hubs with the following:
    - Custom description unless was already on top of Google
    - Make Amazon store in blue instead of white
    - Add News capsule wherever possible (use broader keyword if needed)
    - Interlink more hubs (this is a lot of work IMO)

Hope I am now set for these hubs!

working