jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Misspelling in URL - Must I dump the Hub page and start over?

1. J Sunhawk profile image80
    J Sunhawkposted 5 years ago

The URL in my hub page has a misspelling - "Propaner" instead of the word "Propane."

Is there a way to correct this misspelling or must I dump this hub and start over?

2. melpor profile image89
    melporposted 5 years ago

There are three options here. You can delete this hub if you want to but you do not have to. The URL is just the link to your hub. You can edit the title of your hub if it contain that misspelling but the URL will remain the same. However, you can change the URL right at the beginning when you are first giving a title to hub while setting up the hub on the starting page.

3. Haunty profile image86
    Hauntyposted 5 years ago

I wouldn't change it. Google recognizes keywords even if all the words in the url are written together without separators.

J Sunhawkposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the info on google search bots. I'll consider leaving it as is.

2. lrohner profile image84
      lrohnerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes, but I would still change it depending on its context in the entire keyword phrase.

Having the keyword in the URL isn't the be all and the end all, but it can make a slight difference. When someone does a search for a keyword, Google goes and wrangles up all of appropriate pages. Then it uses on-page and off-page SEO factors, PageRank and whatever else to determine how those pages will rank.

Now let's say the keyword is "how to make propane." Another webpage has pretty much the same SEO factors as you. Their URL is howtomakepropane.com and yours is howtomakepropaner.com. Everything else being equal, it's a tossup who is going to rank higher.

In that same instance, if the keyword was "how to make propane tanks" and your competitor's URL was "howtomakepropanetanks.com" and your URL is "howtomakepropanertanks.com," they could very well rank slightly above you because they have the exact keyword in the URL.

4. Michael Willis profile image77
    Michael Willisposted 5 years ago

I made that error once, but noticed it right away when I started to post on the hub. Since I had not spent time working on the hub, I went ahead and deleted the URL and started over.

5. 0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 5 years ago

You might consider leaving it, because someone searching might misspell propane in their search query.  Do a search of "misspelled keywords" in the forums, you will see a bit of other hubbers advice on the subject.  smile

J Sunhawkposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'll check it out. Thanks.