jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)

avoiding improper Hub content

1. Derrik profile image60
    Derrikposted 9 years ago

I am not only new to HubPages but online writing altogether.  How do I know what I am allowed to write about, without infringing on either A)-copyrights or B)-HubPage's rules on copyrights?  For example, if I were to write a hub on 2008 Mustang GT's, and what I like about them, is that allowed, considering that the Mustang is owned by Ford?  Or are there guidelines that I can follow and still give a "review" of sorts through a particular article?  Or, am I simply not allowed to use the names of any companies, products or services that are copyrighted?  -Derrik

1. embitca profile image88
      embitcaposted 9 years ago in reply to this

No one would ever be able to write anything if you couldn't mention companies, products and services by name.

Company names and product names are trademarked, not copyrighted. If you'd like to understand the difference between these two concepts, you can read an explanation here:

http://www.lawmart.com/searches/difference.htm

2. darkside profile image80
      darksideposted 9 years ago in reply to this

I would say that you can. But it's Ford... so that is a whole other sticky situation.

Ford: Car owners are pirates if they distribute pictures of their own cars

1. embitca profile image88
        embitcaposted 9 years ago in reply to this

I think that muddies the issue a bit. It's certainly a different issue than writing about your own car or writing and reviewing Ford cards in general, something they could never stop from happening. The image of the car is a trademark issue, not a copyright concern. Ford wouldn't own the copyright to photos that I took of a Mustang, but they may have the right to control usage of the likeness of their trademarked product, especially if I decided to photograph 12 Mustangs and published a calendar featuring them and then sold the calendar for a profit. big_smile

Editorial use of images of the cars to illustrate a review of them would certainly fall under fair use, but I bet a trademark case could probably be made about the profit motive of doing a calendar featuring Mustangs. Maybe Ford would lose if they took it to court, maybe not.

2. thranax profile image43
    thranaxposted 9 years ago

You can write about them. As long as its your own content. A lot of people don't cite there images but its nice to do. Never take another Hubs or blogs content completely. Other then that thats about it. Hope you enjoy Hubpages smile

3. profile image0
    oberbrecklingposted 9 years ago

Hi Derrik this link right here will fill you in on everything you need too know to start your first hub I love that mustang 2008 Gt king of the road I did a article on it 3 months ago I dont have that article anymore so I will love to read that one and can hardly wait but for the better part thranax is right write away brother ~cool~ cya     http://hubpages.com/docs/HubPagesGuide.pdf

Derrikposted 9 years ago in reply to this

Thank you for that OberBreckling!
         I will probably write a hub on Mustangs soon just for fun!  (Ford or P-51 Mustang- choices...) But hope to hear more from you!  -Derrik

4. Stay at Home Dad profile image83
    Stay at Home Dadposted 9 years ago

Are there rules against doing stories about one of the advertisers that is not exactly flattering?  Specifically ebay?

1. bjjp profile image61
      bjjpposted 9 years ago in reply to this

I don't know but I wrote a hub a few days ago about Wigix and BluJay and how they might be some good competition for Ebay. Their fees are much lower and I think Ebay charges way too much plus they own Paypal and get commissions there too. They are raking in the bucks. Just my 2 cents worth.

Derrikposted 9 years ago in reply to this

They are raking in the bucks all right- member's bucks.  At a whim they have closed out people's accounts (PayP) and just empty the account, so I read online, and I am not surprised.  One competitor StormPay did that to me, and TOOK $2000+ that was MY MONEY.  Gone.  How do we do business online with THE MAIN processor getting away with this?  Very scary.

2. thranax profile image43
      thranaxposted 9 years ago in reply to this

Nope, just don't attack them and say something there not. Keep it professional and reasonable and I think it would be fine.

5. Stay at Home Dad profile image83

Well, that is why I'm wanting to write about it.  My wife was big into ebay/paypal and after all the changes this year, she has been involved in forums and I've been listening to all of it.  It is VERY interesting and think it would make a great article (and she is bugging me to write it).

1. Inspirepub profile image86
      Inspirepubposted 9 years ago in reply to this

I have had no issue taken with this one, which is not exactly complimentary:

http://hubpages.com/hub/eBay-Exposed

It's now my highest scoring Hub!

HubPages encourages original content which draws readership, comments, and backlinks. They have NEVER shown any sign of editorial interference to protect the interests of advertisers - and I hope they never do.

Jenny

6. Stay at Home Dad profile image83

Thanks all for the input.  This has been very helpful.  Off to work on my story.

7. embitca profile image88
    embitcaposted 9 years ago

Because I'm insane I read all the comments in the article that Darkside linked and the happy ending is that Ford approved the calendars for sale, just not through Cafepress:

http://www.bmcforums.com/showthread.php?t=42820

Looks like the big issue was Cafepress.

working