New Answers Features

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (26 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Ari Lamsteinposted 13 years ago

We recently added two new features to the Answers section that we hope will improve your experience.

The first new feature is a Recommended tab.  Many users have given us feedback that it is hard to find new Questions in topics that they are interested in.  The Recommended tab is designed for just that situation.  It will show you questions asked in the last 24 hours that are in topics that you follow, have written Hubs in, or have asked and answered question in.  Please take a look at this feature and let us know what you think!

The second new feature is a redesign of the unanswered tab.  When someone asks a question on HubPages, we try to give them an answer as quickly as possible.  However, that isn't always possible.  The Unanswered section now focuses on questions that were asked at least 8 hours ago.  Hopefully this will help us to maximize the number of questions that get answered within a day of them being asked.  If you have a momenet and feel like helping a fellow Hubber, please check out that section!

1. LillyGrillzit profile image79
      LillyGrillzitposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you HubPages for all of the "extra little things" and big things you do to provide tools to aspiring and serious writers! :0)

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/4089484_f248.jpg

2. hillrider profile image60
      hillriderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I enjoy scanning the unanswered Questions thread because many of the unanswered questions really seem a bit over the top at times. Also I have seen some decent questions get ignored as well. Gives a good second chance for these to receive attention,

2. Haunty profile image73
    Hauntyposted 13 years ago

Thank you for the new features. I hope they accelerate the pace at which the questions get answers.  smile

1. Mikeydoes profile image43
      Mikeydoesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cool, know I'm going to be using those.

3. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

These are definitely improvements!  When I first checked the "unanswered" tab a couple of minutes ago, my heart sank because there were 16,000 questions in it.  But I found that by clicking on one of the categories in the list on the right side of the screen, I could further narrow the list of the "unanswered" - and I could find latest / hot / recommended / unanswered (etc.) questions within that category.  Great! 

It's still slightly more unwieldy than I would like - my narrowing still resulted in 4900 questions in the category I had chosen, but that is clearly better than 16,000!  In my recommended section, on the other hand, there were only five questions.

I do think these tabs will be very helpful for the Answers section.  At the same time, I also like the idea that has been suggested previously of voting down questions.  That might not be workable, but it seems like something worth at least brainstorming about.  Thanks for the improvements!

1. profile image0
      Ari Lamsteinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Aficionada,

Thank you for your feedback!  Yes, many people have expressed an interest in the ability to vote up and down questions.  I also think that this would be a great feature!  However, I'm not sure if we'll get to work on it in the immediate future. 

The recommended tab focuses on questions that were asked in the last 24 hours, and it updates periodically throughout the day.  It will currently find a maximum of 8 questions (the maximum amount that will fit on one "page" in the Answers section).

If you have any other features that you would like to see in the Answers section, please let us know!

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Several Hubbers have previously posted to suggest the Answers section should be revamped to go back to its roots, i.e. it should go back to being a "Hub Requests" section and the only way to answer the question is by writing a Hub.

However as no HubPages staffer has ever responded to this idea, I am resigned to the fact that HP maintains the Answers section to create activity regardless of its quality or usefulness to members.  So I will continue to ignore the section altogether.

2. Pcunix profile image91
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Quite honestly, it is an embarrassment.   Most of the questions are ridiculous and, in my opinion, degrade the site and could cause intelligent visitors to leave immediately.

3. Aficionada profile image80
        Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Since the other tabs (hot / best / latest / unanswered) are not limited to the last 24 hours, it seems (to me) that it would be even more useful for the recommended section also not to be limited to the last 24 hours.  That is, if I - for whatever reason - were to look at "hot" questions, I could narrow it by category, but I would still probably have a whole lot of scrolling to do from page to page, and even then I might not find any questions that I like.  Whereas, with the recommended section, those questions should be the ones that I might automatically be more interested in - so, why wouldn't I want a larger selection in that category than in the other four?  And, if I am willing to do a lot of scrolling in the other tab sections, wouldn't I also be willing to scroll through the recommended questions?  - Just a thought....

Also, to other Hubbers, my thoughts about "stupid questions":  I also find quite a few questions that I think are pretty idiotic; but it amazes me that there are some questions and some hubs that I have absolutely no interest in - and can't see why anyone else would - and yet they are read very widely and are rated highly and probably generate a lot of income for someone!  And some other Hubbers probably think the topics I write on are pretty idiotic and stupid - in their opinion.  So, I tend to echo Pamela99 (to a degree anyway). I think that what one person considers to be a stupid question can simply be ignored, to allow another one of the thousands of Hubbers to answer it, if they find it in their recommended list.  Or let it die a quiet death among the gigabytes of the thousands of unanswered questions.

1. Aficionada profile image80
          Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A little edit/rewrite of my post for succinctness and clarity:

Am I not likely to be more willing to invest the time and energy for scrolling through several pages in the tab section that has the most value to me or that is likely to yield the best results for my purposes?

1. profile image0
            Ari Lamsteinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Aficionada,

Thanks for this thoughtful feedback.  We incorporated it into our latest changes to the Answers section: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/59848.

Ari

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image84
          DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I agree about 'stupid questions.' There are a lot of them "out here" in cyberspace.  I think many of them can be attributed to juveniles!

I also write for Demand Studios, and some of the topics they present requesting articles ("how-to's"--minimum of 3 steps), are positively ludicrous.  ... such as one I saw--"how to find repairman for xxx brand washing machine."  ... Seriously???!!!  One step:  "look in the yellow pages!"

I fear the Internet, in addition to its many benefits, has also given us a large picture window on humankind's potential for stupidity and idiocy.  Rather frightening, when you think about it!

So, no, I probably won't be scrolling much through the questions in the interest of controlling my blood pressure..... ....   ... neutral

4. saleheensblog profile image61
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

good job.

1. profile image0
      bluetiger1520posted 13 years agoin reply to this

super  great work

5. K9keystrokes profile image82
    K9keystrokesposted 13 years ago

Thank you for the new features. It also seems to remind me that there are questions out there that need to be answered, by 'popping' in on my account page. Very cool! Thanks again.

6. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Thank you. smile

7. travel_man1971 profile image62
    travel_man1971posted 13 years ago

Thanks for the two new added features. It will help us rethink/rephrase our questions. big_smile

8. zzron profile image56
    zzronposted 13 years ago

This is super duper cool!!

9. Pamela99 profile image91
    Pamela99posted 13 years ago

I think this is a great addition as new Hubbers sometimes are quite experienced but others are not and they need the support.  I was always taught that there are no stupid questions.  If someone is going to make a judgment about Hubpages based on what they consider a stupid question, maybe they are in the wrong place.

10. ahzeaz profile image59
    ahzeazposted 13 years ago

great

11. okmom23 profile image67
    okmom23posted 13 years ago

Thank you!

12. L.C. Smith profile image61
    L.C. Smithposted 13 years ago

Sweet!  Thanks.

1. profile image49
      smthjon5posted 13 years agoin reply to this

its very nice post

13. Research Analyst profile image73
    Research Analystposted 13 years ago

I have found the new answers features helpful, thanks for the great updates.

14. vicki simms profile image67
    vicki simmsposted 13 years ago

I think the changes are great and I look at the unanswered questions quite alot in different catagories that don't normally interest me so that I can learn new things. As for stupid questions, there are no stupid questions because someone has asked it because they genuinely dont know the answer (I would like to hope anyway).

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)