Jesus and Black Friday

1. Sally's Trove profile image100
    Sally's Troveposted 5 years ago

I tossed around the idea of putting this thread in religion and beliefs, or politics and social issues, but I couldn't justify it...the fact that November has become the month of Black Fridays, courtesy of American retailers, is just too weird. But I do wonder what Jesus would think of it.

As those in the US know, Black Friday is the day that kicks off the Christmas buying season, being the day after Thanksgiving which is always on a Thursday.

But retailers in this country, desperate for end-of-year sales, have organized to make every Friday in November a black Friday. In other words, spend, spend, SPEND, and do it now! (All in the name of Christmas gift-giving.)

As I was about to vomit over another Christmas commercial on TV when Halloween was not even over yet, I wondered what Jesus would think of this marketing strategy.

I'd like to think he'd think, "Well, you humans have been on earth for only a few tens of thousands of years, and there's still hope for you. So, I'll just wait around to see what happens. Maybe you'll get the point about my birthday celebration sooner than later...more likely later."

What do you think?

2. Tammy L profile image84
    Tammy Lposted 5 years ago

An appropriate quote about Christmas came from an old TV show, Adam-12.  "It seems the Christmas spirit is alcohol."  Kent McCord's character said that in a Christmas episode.

How true that statement is and how sad it is that some people feel that way.