jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

Are birthday celebrations just for kids?

1. earnestshub profile image88
    earnestshubposted 5 years ago

We are having a birthday lunch as usual, when older members of the family have a birthday, we all get together at my daughters home to celebrate, because this is where 5 of my 6 grandchildren live, and we do that for several practical reasons.
    It is safer and easier to deal with all the kids at home, and they have more time to get ready for the "party."

My daughter has a big house and yard so everyone can bring their pets and they can play outside with the children.

Having 5 kids and me living at my daughters house, we have a huge dining table and the kids all have their own computers, so a lot of time is spent installing new games and updating equipment when the family gets together here.

My daughter loves these family gatherings and we always have a good time, but we can and do arrange these get-togethers around birthdays.
    I am one of those people who forgets to notice their own birthday and always gave, so to me it is more about an opportunity to see everyone together than a celebration when it is an adult birthday.
    I guess I feel that birthdays are more important when growing up, as kids are seeing their own development with each passing year. Adult birthdays? Most of the adults I know wish they had a few less birthdays!

1. 0
      sandra rinckposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Sounds nice.  Don't know what it is like but sounds like a dream.  smile

1. Wendi M profile image82
        Wendi Mposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Why don't you know what it's like Sandra?  Do you not celebrate birthdays?  I'm just curious.

2. earnestshub profile image88
        earnestshubposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The party has been going a few hours, and I am enjoying it. I still have a chance to pop back here though.
        I am just getting a present for the 18 year old and will return for the cake being cut, and in the mean time play with the little ones, who seem to be enjoying the party heaps. smile

2. tiffany delite profile image81
      tiffany deliteposted 5 years ago in reply to this

my kids are teenagers, but we have always done the same thing for birthdays over the years. we typically have cake, ice cream, a couple small presents, and a few friends and family over to the house for birthdays, and that is about it. for the adult birthdays in the family, we do pretty much the same thing...cake, ice cream, simple presents, all with friends and family.

really, it is just a matter of what you want to do and what kind of traditions, if any, your family has. i think it's fine if adults want to celebrate their birthdays with a big "shindig", but i always think it's hilarious when adults get all "butt-hurt" because this person or that person didn't show up to their birthday party. i personally won't go to birthday parties that are held in a bar because i don't care for that kind of environment at this point in my life. for house parties where alcohol is involved - sometime i will go, but i show up and leave early!

2. Joy56 profile image60
    Joy56posted 5 years ago

so yu answered your own question, it seems they are for everyone.

3. Wendi M profile image82
    Wendi Mposted 5 years ago

I love birthdays Earnest.  I'm one of those people who calls my loved ones at 7am to sing "Happy Birthday" to them.

I also start the countdown to my own birthday about 11 months early!

Despite my apparent lack of interest in birthdays, people like yourself who are all inspired give me a huge lift! I had a friend once like yourself, and he almost turned my attitude around when he rang me and sang "Happy birthday" on the phone. smile

4. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 5 years ago

I enjoy birthday parties for the kids.  I had so much fun creating my daughters gift box to send to her on her birthday smile

My son's is right around the corner and look forward to a bunch of teens invading the house for a pizza party.

For me, I'd rather go out for a quiet evening with the family than have any fuss.

5. camlo profile image84
    camloposted 5 years ago

I always looked forward to my birthday until a certain age.

I have never cared about mine, even as a kid, apart form birthdays, my family gave gifts when they had money to do so, which was not always on birthdays. We never had that much control of money as I recall. It was hard getting paid at all sometimes as dad was a logging contractor and payments often were stalled.

6. 69
    logic,commonsenseposted 5 years ago

I don't care to do anything on mine, but I do like helping others celebrate theirs, regardless of their age.