jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (12 posts)

Tumblr and AlterNet

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image95
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

I'm getting just enough traffic from Tumblr and Alternet to keep doing it, and recommend it.  I just post a title, the first paragraph of my hub as a teaser, and then put "Read More At:"  followed by the hub's url, anyone else doing well with those sites? Or other's like them?

1. Jeremey profile image60
      Jeremeyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm still a newbie when it comes to hubpages and the internet as a whole but I have just started getting a bit of traffic from stumbled upon posting in a similar way you describe above.

Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, I like StumbleUpon!

2. WryLilt profile image84
    WryLiltposted 6 years ago

I personally am not a fan of social bookmarking sites. It's a lot of work for little return.

Usually the traffic comes in a rush and is also low quality (doesn't click or buy much).

If you optimize for google you're likely to get lasting traffic that increases over time.

I'm getting  absolutely NOTHING from social bookmarking sites-like mybuddymarks, folkd, anything like that.  Tumblr is really a blog site, I don't think it really counts as a social networking site-and alternet is the same way.  I'm having more success with Tumblr than Alternet.

But here's a stategy that I sometimes use.  If I write a politics hub, then I KNOW already that I'll get lots of traffic from reddit by putting politics stuff there, then I create a teaser like I described on AlterNet, or Tumblr. . . .and then submit that new link to reddit. . . .and do it all over!

~maniacal grin~

2. Pcunix profile image89
      Pcunixposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Or you'll get several thousand comments complaining about something they don't like.

I am VERY adverse to any and all of it.  I put links on Twitter and Facebook at most and I'd guess that 95% or more never even got that much.

Someday soon I'm going to do a hub that does deep analysis on some of my top earning and top traffic pages as to age, promotional activities and so on.  It will be a pile of work, but I think the results will be quite interesting.

3. LindaJM profile image81
    LindaJMposted 6 years ago

Did you already have a following at Tumblr? I'm asking because I do have a blog there but so far as I know, nobody has ever read it. I've never put a lot of effort into the site; no connections at all. What does it take to get traffic from Tumblr?

No, I have TWO followers on Tumblr... . . .but anyone might decide to look at something you publish there, just go nuts putting all the right tags, and don't do SEO type stuff for a title.  With those types of sites, you want an exiting or explosive title.  Use Search Engine Optimization tactics here on hubpages-with those other sites, you just want to advertise your hub.

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image95

Your blog title should get you traffic-I'm only looking at my traffic numbers here and on Google analytics-I have no idea how many people look at my tumblr stuff, I only see how many got to my hubs from tumblr.  I hope that cleared that up a little bit.

I've VERY new to all of these traffic tactics myself-but I'm going nuts trying everything that I can think of.

4. thisisoli profile image56
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

I have my rss feed linked up to tumblr, never really put much effort in to it though, it doesn't provide a huge amount of traffic, it's just another one of the lower key places on the internet where my link is placed!

Dude, I've got to get my feed over there!  I'm going to figure that one out before the day is over.  Hey, have you ever heard of charleyhow.com?  I just joined that one,  and post "teasers" with "read more at" backlinks.

2. Marisa Wright profile image94
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Oli, is that all you do at Tumblr, or do you create other posts too?

I read about your RSS feed trick some months ago and set up a Tumblr blog to do exactly that.  It lasted about six weeks before I got banned.  Wondering how you managed to fly under the radar?

working