What notifications would you like to see?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (38 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Ari Lamsteinposted 13 years ago

We are currently taking a high level look at our notification system:  under what circumstances we send a notification to users, how the notifications are sent (e.g. via email or the iPhone app), how users can choose to opt out of these, etc.

An example of a notification that we already send is "Someone commented on your hub".

An example that we are considering to add is "Someone responded to a forum thread after you posted."

If you have had some situations where HP could have helped you out with an automated message, now would be a good time to share it with us!

I have looked at recent forum posts, and have already found a few that relate to this concept:
      -A user requested a notification when we discover a bad link on their site.
      -Another user requested notifications when we find out that their hub has too many tags.

1. rotl profile image61
      rotlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is one that I read on the forum recently, so I can't take credit for it:

"Notify me when someone (hubber) responds to a comment I left on their hub."

1. Edweirdo profile image84
        Edweirdoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I second this one!

I have always wanted to have a "Reply" button in the hub comments capsule - when someone leaves a comment on my hub I can reply specifically to that comment, and the commenter could receive a notice that I have done so.

People often ask me specific questions in comments on my hubs, but when I answer them, I have no idea whether they will even know that I did so...

1. Pcunix profile image90
          Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, yes, yes.

That would require threaded comments, of course.

2. Spacey Gracey profile image39
        Spacey Graceyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like the response to comments one.

Please let us opt in and out though - if I got a notification via email everytime someone commented on a thread I had posted on I would drown in email.

A notification when an accolade got posted would be nice too - save me from repeatedly checking my profile page when I know I have earnt one and just waiting for it to be posted up.

3. ngureco profile image80
        ngurecoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Agreed.

2. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

why not make them opt in or opt out?

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We already have a perfectly good Statistics page where Hubbers can already scan their Hub list for broken links and copied Hubs.  The logical thing would be to add another symbol for "excess tags". 

That would be enough for me and for many other Hubbers, I suspect. If there is a decision to add email notifications, then we need the option to opt out of them specifically (i.e. I wouldn't want to have to opt out of receiving emails from HubPages to avoid getting all the new notifications).

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

Whenever someone clicks on an ad?

1. saleheensblog profile image60
      saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And also when a hub is indexed

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like that! If it is possible to detect when the spider drops by, that would be an excellent feature; both for new and old hubs!smile

2. Whitney05 profile image83
        Whitney05posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think this would be more of a Google thing, not Hubpages, but I'm not sure.

2. Whitney05 profile image83

You can see the numbers in your accounts, no need to be notified up to hundreds of times a day because someone clicked on an ad on your hub.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60

Many of us don’t get hundreds of clicks a day.smile

Over time new patterns may be detected. Recognition of otherwise undiscovered patterns almost invariably results in useful information…

Besides, some of us would like the feel-good, positive-reinforcement “newsflash” every once in a while.smile

And like you said, you can always opt out.

1. sunforged profile image70
          sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

that wouldnt be a hubpage feature - they have no access to info about your id.

the ability to do what you request already exists its called an "adsense notifier"

you will get little pop ups in your browser or os toolbar when actions happen. They also include advanced graphing and report management.

There are a bunch of free ones that work well.

3. paradigmsearch profile image60

Method of Notification:

A.    The hub title on our stats page turns green.

B.    A date/time stamp next to the title showing when click occurred.

C.    The William Tel overture plays softly in the background.

D.    Clicking it will indicate acknowledgement and it goes back to normal.

E.    An opt out button for those poor souls who get 100’s of clicks a day and don’t want to be distracted.

F.    OK..., omit item C.smile

3. Wendy Krick profile image63
    Wendy Krickposted 13 years ago

I would like to be notified if someone responded to a forum thread after I posted.

It would be better if it is only restricted to when only responded to my post,not for all post

1. profile image0
        Donna Ferrierposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yup, me three. I'd like to be notified when someone responds to a forum post, too. I just suggested this in the Feedback and Suggestions portion of the forums.

2. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I would also.

But I'd settle for fixing the "Your" link so it only shows the very LAST post in a thread I am involved in.   That alone would save a lot of time and missed responses.   Right now, if a thread is active, that one thread pushes everything else down and possibly to another page. Get a few of those, and stuff gets lost in the noise.

yah, I just suggested it earlier, so +1

4. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 13 years ago

None.

Even when I was getting the comment notifications, I just deleted them because I knew I would get to the comments when I got to them.

Half the time I don't go back and see the answers for any questions that I've asked (most don't really help anyway or aren't effective answers that I'm looking for).

I don't worry about when hubs index because I know in their own time, they will.

Those hubs that I comment on, if I really want to hear a reply to my comment, I will remember the hub to  go back and check it out.

I don't want to be notified every time someone clicks an ad, because I can see the number of clicks in each affiliate accounts.

Please no more email notifications. I just delete them. Personally, there's no need for notifications, IMO. If you log in regularly, you'll get to the comments and questions asked of you when you get to them the next time you log in. The notifications, never made me log in any faster than I normally would have.

I hope by electing out of the notifications, nothing new will be an exception.

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You do realize you can opt out of nearly every email notification on the profile page at the moment, Whitney?

1. Whitney05 profile image83

Yep, and I do.

They asked an opinion, and I gave mine. I shouldn't be thought down of because I think it's a waste to send out notifications for every little thing.

1. waynet profile image69
          waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you!

A condensed notification email would be much better, because all of us lead busy lives and more and more stuff piles on top if us and email can become quite daunting to sort out and quite a task if we have different emails for different things that all relate to one domain name!

2. saleheensblog profile image60

I also don't want to know who is following me, who sent me a fan mail, who commented in my hub by e-mail notification.

But I would love the reply on my comments notification but before that the comment section should be updated so that the author can reply to a comment specificly like what we can do in the forum.

5. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

perhaps, that would be considered a waste of time to those who bother to answer your questions?

its already pretty clear, you rarely read a thread before commenting, so, i guess the above should come as no surprise

1. Whitney05 profile image83

What is that supposed to mean? I read the thread and each post in it. There's really no need to be rude.

I always get around to looking at the question I ask, but about 95% of them don't have the answers I'm looking for. I skim the answers because most are about a sentence or two long, and not worth the time nor do they answer my question. I don't mean to be rude, but look at the answers section and most of the answers given.

6. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 13 years ago

How about a notification when someone signs up under you so you can go give them some encouragement.  I know I can manually check this under the url trackers but I often check it days or weeks after someone has signed up.

1. Spacey Gracey profile image39
      Spacey Graceyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This one too is great - I was stunned to find someone has signed up under my tracker and they probably thought it weird to get a 'hello' email from me weeks later.

7. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

My two cents - we don't need too many notifications.

However if there's anything that could adversely effect our hubs, such as a warning message (as mentioned, too many tags) then it would be good to know instead of finding it two months later.

8. saleheensblog profile image60
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

when a hub is voted down or flagged so that you can know we have works to be done with those hubs.

9. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

I'd like to be able to turn on and off notifications of hub publication by INDIVIDUAL hubber, so I could control the flow of my reading based on how busy I was.  IN summer, I read wayyyyyyyy more hubs than during the school semesters, and I really don't want to un-follow anyone, because then I'd have to remember who it was come summer etc.  So I just get no notifications and read far less than I would were I prompted to here and there.

It's already possible.
      Edit Profile>Email>>Email me when authors I'm following publish:
      Never/  Immediately  /Daily Digest

The daily digest is the best but you can enable never for sometimes and then again go back to other option in summer.

1. Shadesbreath profile image78
        Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but unless I'm missing something, you can't turn on and off individuals.  For examples, say I only want to read hubs from my favorite 10 hubbers for the next three months, but then I'm freed up to read more, so I "turn on" 15 more.  Then come summer I turn on everyone for three months.

Just be nice to have a check box next to each one.  Maybe that's just me.

oh yes, I missed you first time. how would it be if you select "never" and then subscribe to your favorite authors' RSS? Then you can see the latest hubs of them in your bookmark toolbar.

10. Karanda profile image79
    Karandaposted 13 years ago

My frustration is not so much the forum threads, because it is easy enough to return to the forum and have a look under 'Your' posts to see if there are responses.

But the comments made to other's hubs is very cumbersome if you want to see if the other hubber has responded to a question, especially after you've asked a few. Notifications here would be nice but there should always be an opt out choice for those busier hubbers.

1. waynet profile image69
      waynetposted 13 years ago

It would be good if we had the option of a weekly or daily round up of notifications all in one, this would save on emails I think...don't know if anyone else would find this useful or not?! Y'know much like the daily digest of new published hubs, something similar.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)