jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (16 posts)

Is it just me or are men difficult to buy gifts for?

1. 0
    sarahsherlockposted 5 years ago via iphone

Women are notoriously easy to buy for, flowers, cosmetics, chocolates and jewellery are always a winner plus you don't have to know the person too well to choose something. Men.....particularly men you don't know that well, like a secret santa at work, are impossible......socks anyone? Is it just me who has this problem?

1. 0
      mtsi1098posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I never have a problem shopping for me smile  DVDs, cds, gift card works well for me...

2. lady_love158 profile image59
      lady_love158posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Men like toys and beer, or a bottle of wine is nice, tickets to an action movie or a football or hockey game, a comedy show, or a strip club! heehee... Men are easy or you could by them underwear but that might send a message you may not want to send.

3. brimancandy profile image82
      brimancandyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I rarely receive gifts anymore, because I always tell people that I have enough stuff. I usually get video games, socks, underwear, or cash. I have enough underwear and socks for a small army, so cash is always a great gift! That way I can get what I want, or treat myself to a movie or drinks at my favorite club. Unfortunately, I only get enough to do one, and not the other.

Gift cards are cool too. Get a general idea of what the person might want, and get him or her a gift card where they can go shopping for what they are interested in. Get me a card to JC Penney, and I will buy my own underwear. Usually when people me underwear, it's either too big or too small, and nothing I would ever wear, and I just end up re-gifting it.

1. camlo profile image83
        camloposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes, I'm really fussy about what I put in my flat and which clothes I wear, which is why I'd rather people bought me no such gifts. Money and gift vouchers are perfect, and if it has to be underwear, then size 4 or S, please smile

4. 70
      logic,commonsenseposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well if you buy some sexy lingerie for yourself, that would be a great present if he got to see it.
      Otherwise you can never go wrong with tools if he is really a man! smile

2. Catering101 profile image61
    Catering101posted 5 years ago

I do feel that way sometimes especially if you already tried giving them the stuff that you know they'll like. I agree, the options are just few. But good thing, the men I had given gifts to just appreciates my thoughtfulness, I think that's all that matters.

3. Lisa HW profile image81
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

Like so many men, my father had an amazing collection of ties he couldn't have worn if he lived to be 250 years old.  He smoked a pipe, so anyone who knew that would seize on the tobacco pouch idea.  Ties, tobacco pouches, and the ever popular man's dress shirt were pretty much all he ever seemed to get for gifts.  (Oh - and from close relatives, tools and Lawrence Welk albums.  smile  )

4. MissE profile image80
    MissEposted 5 years ago

It's not just you!  They are super hard to buy for!  My husband has gotten good at just saying, "Man I want that for my birthday!"  That helps! smile I also got him a game system.  He always wants some new game.

5. 0
    sarahsherlockposted 5 years ago

It's great if my husband tells me what he wants but he is so particular I don't dare choose on my own. I have to buy a Secret Santa stocking for my brother in law. Six gifts! I'm stuck already and can only spend £3.50 per gift!

6. camlo profile image83
    camloposted 5 years ago

People maintain that it's hard to choose a gift for me, because I always buy myself whatever I want when I want it, but it's not difficult at all.
    If anyone here is interested, I can never get enough of those trunk style boxers - they must have a top designer name around the waist band, and be in size 4 or S.
    I also love gift vouchers, especially for Amazon. The higher the value, the better.
    And I've got nothing against cash. Again, the more the better.

1. Lisa HW profile image81
      Lisa HWposted 5 years ago in reply to this

We have a problem buying for my brother.  If he wants it he's already got it.  If he doesn't already have it that's because he doesn't want it.  If it's clothes he doesn't want anyone else selecting them.   If it's electronics, gadgets, tools, or any number of other things - he's already got the best of them, with a back-up in case they go.

1. camlo profile image83
        camloposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I think most people, including me, love to buy actual objects as presents: Fun to give, and watch people receive. But people like your brother, or me, really are happier choosing their own gifts. I think it's a shame to receive something you've got no use for, that just clutters up your home.

7. jenniferain profile image60
    jenniferainposted 5 years ago

I never know what to buy my hubby... he's so hard to buy for. I usually just get him a gift card to Best Buy and let him choose something for himself.

8. rotl profile image61
    rotlposted 5 years ago

Men are much harder to buy gifts for. I'm a man, and I don't know what to get my male friends/family sometimes. Latest action DVD releases and Best Buy gift certificates are two good standbys for me.

9. Greek One profile image80
    Greek Oneposted 5 years ago

alcohol and female affection