jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)

My hubs are being hi-jacked..can anyone help?!!

1. Marliza Gunter profile image82
    Marliza Gunterposted 5 years ago

On one hub I received 42 views from a server that is parked and up for sale..no outgoing link was found to my hub..how does the 42 views get to my hub...if I google my hubs, I will find several of my hub links in google, but if I follow the link I would get to sites that advertise parked domains or forex. Is this good or bad? I recon it is bad, cause it would seem to those also following the google link that this hub is unpublished and affects my overall reputation that I send people to forex ads. And how do they do that? Please help, what can be done?

1. Barbara Kay profile image86
      Barbara Kayposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I had this happen with my website for awhile. It did eventually go away. I don't know how they do this.

2. reagu profile image78
      reaguposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I once had a virus on my desktop computer that would redirect links from a Google search.  Not sure if it's the same issue as yours.  But in my case, once I got rid of the virus, the problem went away. 

Did you try doing a Google searc from another machine?

2. Spacey Gracey profile image76
    Spacey Graceyposted 5 years ago

No idea honey, just thought I'd bump this up in case anyone else can help you out.

1. paradigmsearch profile image90
      paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

1. adrienne2 profile image82
        adrienne2posted 5 years ago in reply to this

@Martiza I know exactly what you are talking about.  I dont have a clue to how people do this.  They are redirecting traffic from your hub to another site.  I just recently learned it is called masking.  Have you checked at the bottom of the forex ad to find out who is the owner of the landing page? There should be some kind of contact link so you give at least give them a warning.  Maybe some other more experienced hubbers who are savy can pitch in and give some more insight to help you.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
          Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Adrienne, can you post a link to your source? 

Let's say you have a website, but you want people to be sent somewhere else when they type in that website name, without them realizing it.  You can do that by "masking" - but you can only do it if you own the website.  I don't know of any way that someone could redirect a HubPages URL (which they don't own) to somewhere else.

There was such a myth going around HubPages some time back, which set some Hubbers into a needless panic.  It was started by someone who totally misunderstood Google's search results and simply wasn't true.

Hi Marisa,

Totally not trying to send anyone into a panic. My source came from my travel agency website.  On my dashboard in the creating your website section it explains how to redirect your mini-site to the agency main site. I do see what you are saying here that you have to own the website or page to do this.

2. 0
      Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

Most likely, the visitors arrived at your hub because they were redirected by those in control of the parked domain; not because of links. Why they were redirected to you is something one can only guess about at this point. Maybe someone has purchased the traffic, or those in charge of the redirection have for one reason or another seen it in their interest to do so.

As for remedies, outranking the sites with the bad links would seem to be an option. Shouldn't be too difficult, since the links going to the other sites are of low value.

People who redirect links is for the sole purpose of stealing their traffic.  Not sure if just outranking is the answer.

1. 0
          Website Examinerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Neither am I, and that was not what I said. I said outranking them would seem to be an option. I did not say that it was "the" solution, let alone the only solution.

3. Susana S profile image92
      Susana Sposted 5 years ago

@ marliza - Post a link to the google search you are performing and the hub in question and from there we may be able to work this out.

4. BaliMermaid profile image60
      BaliMermaidposted 5 years ago

I think that I have the answer to this one.
      Check comments to your hubs. These forex link creeps are hiding links to your hubs within their comments or the link with their name, as a non hubpage member.

I had the same problem and the only way it stopped was to go through and check every link on every hub. Troublesome, tiresome, frustrating but at least it stopped.

On the other hand some advice I got in the forums was that the links out of comments are no follow so the forex creeps were not getting any real benefit. Whether or not I was being harmed is hard to tell.