Want to start your own website? Black friday is the time!

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (31 posts)
  1. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

If you have ever wanted your own website and/or domain then black Friday will definitely be the day to do it, Hostgator is offering up to 80% off on selected products, which means you could walk away with a hosting package set at $0.99 a month for 3 years, that is one hell of a deal!

You can find out more <snipped - rules are rules wink>

Feel free to delete this/remove the link if you think it is too spammy, but I think this is a perfect opportunity for hubbers looking to create their own website, and might be ideal for those who want a footing on to the Ebay partner network!

1. David 470 profile image82
      David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

wow really! That sounds really cool, even though I am still a noob with the whole website stuff for the most part.

2. David 470 profile image82

Where would you recommend buying a domain?

ahh, sorry scratch that post, I though hostgator only hosted, and did not sell domains.

1. WryLilt profile image89
          WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I personally buy my domains through godaddy. They're pretty good and it's easy to use.

And I'm with hostgator and love it.

Yeah, what I heard from most hubbers on here, godaddy is okay for domains, but not up to par on other things...

Wrylilt, are you focusing on websites more or hubs more now?

Hmmm hard to say. Timewise, probably more on hubs. I want to do 30 toy hubs, some seasonal hubs and some summer hubs over the next few months so that will keep me busy.

However I have about 7 sites (I think?) at the moment with a bit of content on them in niche topics so I'm letting them age a little right now. I'm hoping they'll help me get an ebay affiliate approval.

On advice from a top hubber I'm going to wait till after the Xmas rush to start anymore sites, depending on which hubs do best with the increased traffic.

7 sites ? Wow, I am assuming there all new. I really do enjoy writing here on hubpages, but would also like to purse website building, like many on here.

WryLilt, I have to say, you have been a big motivator for me. You always stay consistent and help people in the forums. There are a lot of other people on here too that have motivated me.

I just do not understand how you keep doing so well with amazon. I only wrote a few product hubs, but I still put amazon capsules on my informative hubs. Not sure if that will ever help. However, I think this way, adsense at the top for clicks, and maybe the readers will click on amazon by chance.

My main focus is not amazon anyway, but it would still be nice to see some sales randomly from my informative hubs

Good to hear I motivate someone!

The sites aren't all new (one is nearly a year old) but they're dabbling in different topics/keywords and styles. I really need to put some more work into them!

I'm up to $40 for this month from Amazon. And that's because I discovered that information just doesn't sell - ever at all. (With the exception of the 0.0001% of visitors who are actually in the mood to buy, not read.)

I have lots of sales hubs now, about 85. I didn't start to see consistent sales till I did more than 30 Sales hubs though. I also find the sale rate is a lot higher than Adsense click rates. For instance the average sales hub only gets 5-10 google hits a day and yet can still get good sales.

Yeah, amazon has a much different approach than adsense does. You may not get as much traffic, but the sales would compensate for a lot of clicks earned from adsense otherwise.

I may make a separate account on here for amazon. This account is becoming to much of a sandpit (if that's the word for it)

I would like to focus on 3 main amazon product related topics

1) video games

2) Hunting apparel, and supplies

3) Exercise equipment or books, something similar.

I merely do not know how to approach it though...Such as getting traffic from the people who are in a "buying stage". It does not matter if I could get traffic, they must be in some form of willing to buy.

2. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

That is a heckuva deal. Thanks for sharing!

3. profile image0
    Tilecleaninghubposted 13 years ago

Go daddy is a bunch of crooks and I would not do anything with them.  FYI if you are searching domains on go daddy and you see a domain is open then you want to purchase it immediately.  Go daddy has a habit of purchasing domains that have been searched for and then of course they will sell it to you at an inflated price.

...which is the reason I don't mind changing domain names from say redsocks.info to redstripedsocks.info - there are always more options.

Just curious, do you have anything positive to say on any topic, ever?

LOL

1. profile image0
          Tilecleaninghubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ya I am positive your a (*^*%^&(*

1. profile image0
              Tilecleaninghubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You too David. LOL

4. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

buy domains can work, but the people who buy those domains dont ever seem to do anything good with them.

I host with hostgator and domain with godaddy.  For the record they are not crooks, there is no law about buying a domain which appears to be popular, it sounds like a good idea to me to be honest.

If you get a hosting package with Hostgator it usually comes with a free domain name I think.

5. profile image0

No it is not illegal to buy domains and it does make good business sense but they search through their domain name search records each night and will purchase the next day a domain that has been search for.  Not all but just the domains that they think they can make a profit with.  To me it is just not ethical and that is why I dont deal with them.  Like I said if you are searching for a domain that you really want then dont do it on go daddy domain search unless you plan on buying it immediately.  Also imo it just makes sense to buy the domain from hostgator that you want hostgator to host for you.  It may cost a few bucks more but it just makes setting up and running your website that much easier.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I didn't know Godaddy did that, but I've heard of it happening elsewhere.

As you say it's not illegal but it is frustrating - you spend the day searching for domain names, then go off and do some more research - and when you go back to the site, you find the ones you liked are no longer unclaimed, but are for sale as premium names for several times the price.

I always do my searches on name.com and have never had any trouble with that happening - I seem to recall Eric Graudins recommending namecheap.com as another place where you can search without risk of getting gazumped.

6. profile image0

Also to wrylilt a domain name is extremely important to a website and seo for your keywords.  That is why some domains sell for millions of dollars.  Just saying that it is ok to take my prized domain name because I will just get something a little different is not smart.  If you want to be number one for certain keywords you want the exact domain name.

I'm fully aware of the importance of keywords. However plurals and synonyms can be other good options when choosing a similar domain name, especially with the increasing importance of LSI.

1. Bill Manning profile image69
        Bill Manningposted 13 years agoin reply to this

IMO no domain is worth more than 100 bucks these days. There are so many sites that do well without any of the key words in the domain.

Having said that I do think key words in your domain help, but they can be in any order and with any extra words.

I've always been able to find a domain that works with my key words with only 3 words, you just have to be creative. smile

7. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

I have informational/sales hubs which do quite well on both Adsense clicks and Amazon sales.  So it is possible!

8. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

I'm affiliate of HG but not hosted on their VPS anymore.

Is there any chance of HG allowing me to sign up for new account for black Friday VPS Deal ? Confused because i'm active affiliate as well.  neutral

1. thisisoli profile image70
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You might be able to since you are buying a new package.  Remember the VPS deal is only discounted on the first month though!

9. Spacey Gracey profile image40
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

When I am a proper Internet grown-up I would like a website...whistful sigh and longing gaze at your clever people. I love reading these threads - always an education.

10. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Thanks Oli, i decided to sign up for baby plan,keeping my VPS on other server. big_smile

Few things i noticed during signup- If you're going to register new domain during this promo period then chances are system will go in denial loop. It did for me saying this domain is not available and when i checked it on godady and namecheap it was available. So i used my domain from godaddy to register this plan and that made my transaction process quicker.

2 more hours left for this 80% offer so anyone who wants to sign up better get domain from other sites and then register to HG for quick processing.  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)