Is it right to write hubs that can hurt someone's religious feelings?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Valeed profile image71
    Valeedposted 13 years ago

I have found some hubs that promote a feeling of hatred towards muslims and islam. I know a person has a right to express his/her views but in my view they should not be in a way that it hurts the emotions of others.

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'd personally flag any such hub.

Valeedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have tried that but there was no such categorized reason in the flagging option.

Put it under 'other' and write your reason in the box.

2. pisean282311 profile image62
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

well every one has right to express his/her opinion but no one has right to hurt others emotions...having said that we dont have any standard of hurt...for e.g. if a christian or muslim says his god is only god , now even this can hurt someone who believes in god but doesnot believe in bible or quran....unless person is abusing religion or even non religion  it is difficult to standardize hurt...

From what the OP said, I'd understand this to be a direct attack on the muslim community at large, instead of a specific strike on their belief with factual evidence behind it.

1. pisean282311 profile image62

hmmm...if that is the case...hub can be flagged..

@valeed

well if hub is of kind which you state...you should flag it as abusive and write down in text box which does ask for reason as to why did you flag it...

2. Valeed profile image71

I firmly believe that all religions and holy books promtes peace and harmony, its only the followers of the faith that are involved in wrong deeds. One should not target a faith just because of few followers. There are black sheeps in every religion which brings a bad name to it.
        Before researching into others religion one should make sure that he/she  knows his/her own faith in depth.

well principally i agree with you...my point was on standards of hurt...what hurts x might not hurt y and so on...since you are muslim and know your religion, you are in better position to judge..since you felt hurt by the hub you have right to flag it...since you cannot find category ,just opt for abusive and write reason in the text box...

Thanks for the advice!
            I have flagged it and hope that people restrain themselves from writing such hubs.

2. profile image0
            Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree - my hubs about deconverting from christianity aren't hate hubs, but some may feel uncomfortable/hurt.  Likewise, I've read hubs with religious views I don't agree with - I don't bother flagging them, even though some "hateful" things have been said

2. Marcus Teague profile image61
          Marcus Teagueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Valeed,
          It's noble you believe that. However, Islam is the one and only exception:

Qur'an 98:6
          "Verily, those who disbelieve (in the religion of Islam, the Qur'an and Prophet Muhammad) from among the People of the Scripture (Jews and Christians) and Al-Mushrikun will abide in the Fire of Hell. They are the worst of creatures."

Qur'an 9:29
          "Fight against those who believe not in Allah, nor in the Last Day, nor forbid that which has been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger and [fight] against those who acknowledge not the religion of truth (i.e. Islam) among the People of Scripture (Jews and Christians), until they pay Jizyah with willing submission and feel themselves subdued."

Qur'an, 9:5 (verse of the sword)
          Kill the unbelievers wherever you find them. ... But if they repent and accept Islam ... then leave their way free."

Qur'an 8:37-42
          "Surely, those who disbelieve spend their wealth to turn men away from the way of Allah. They will surely continue to spend it; but then shall it become a source of regret for them, and then shall they be overcome. And the disbelievers shall be gathered unto Hell;

"That Allah may separate the bad from the good, and put the bad, one upon another, and heap them up all together, and then cast them into Hell. These indeed are the losers.

"Say to those who disbelieve, if they desist, that which is past will be forgiven them; and if they return thereto, then verily, the example of the former peoples has already gone before them.

"And fight them until there is no persecution and religion is wholly for Allah. But if they desist, then surely Allah is Watchful of what they do.

"And if they turn their backs, then know that Allah is your Protector. What an excellent Protector and what an excellent Helper!

"And know that whatever you take as spoils in war, a fifth thereof shall go to Allah and to the Messenger and to the kindred and orphans and the needy and the wayfarer, if you believe in Allah and in what We sent down to Our servant on the Day of Distinction—the day when the two armies met—and Allah has the power to do all things."

This is not an opinion: Muslims are commanded to conduct war against anyone who isn't a Muslim, kill non-believers, and enslave those who submit. The prophet Mohammed is perfect and his example is to be followed. That means his actions of child molestation, desecrating women's rights, enslavement, (all recorded in the Qur'an), and mass murders/beheading are to be promoted.

3. RealityBomb profile image61
      RealityBombposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Everybody is entitled to their OWN views on any subject and ESPECIALLY religion. It is morally wrong for someone to say your not allowed to do this and even more so if they flag or report your opinion. Freedom of speech is not something that should be taken lightly and there is NOT conditions anyone should be allowed to apply to that.

If someone doesn't agree with your opinion, it is their choice to either express their own or refuse to read it in the first place. Nobody is forcing anyone to read anything so if someone is offended by what you say then that is their own fault and not yours.

Never apologize or think its wrong to express what you believe through fear of offending someone else. We are all different with different experiences and different beliefs and if everyone was made to think the same it would be a pretty dull world.

1. RealityBomb profile image61
        RealityBombposted 13 years agoin reply to this

To add, I jumped to conclusions after reading someones reply and not fully reading the OP.
        In regards to hateful hubs, that is a whole different subject. Personally, I dont think anyone has the right to purposly offend another or write content which could be deemed as incouraging hatrid towards another human being. This is quite different to freedom of speech.
        I apologize for my last post which I made a little to quickly.

1. profile image0

I've read hubs by christians which have hate speech eg "atheists are satanists; non-believers are swine"

1. Anesidora profile image60
            Anesidoraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree. The Bible is the ultimate hate-speech rivaled only by the tanahk and the quran.

Sorry to the OP, but I don't think fear of hurting someone's feelings should prevent us from exploring things, even if others would rather we didn't.

That said, YES! OP, I despise those cowardly christians who try oh so hard to remove the motes from everyone else's eyes. I can only ever guess that they must not be aware of how incredibly dumb they are. And lacking in class, manners and good taste.

But to protect my right to point out how dumb they are, I must protect their right to be dumb in the first place.

"I know my god is true and good, and those passages in the bible which show otherwise can ALWAYS be explained into oblivion, but their god is false and their book is evil."

It really is just dumbfounding how dumb dumb people can be.

4. skyfire profile image81
      skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When quran or bible says-muslims/christians are supposed to kill or look down to non-believers then my feelings are hurt and my life is in danger if i'm in group of such dumb people who believe in fairy stories. So am i supposed to flag quranic/bible BS on hubpages ?

Google - 'Freedom of speech'.

well publishing hub if one's right and flagging is others right...it is for hub team to judge then..

1. skyfire profile image81
          skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Exactly.

But people like valeed are going to be on spree of flagging the hub. So if you have any opinion against fanatic and intelligently dumb muslims who preach here *cough like ahamadi* then your hub or replies are going to get flagged ? You don't see censorship of valeed in this which thrashes your freedom of speech ?

5. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't agree at all. Freedom of speech is exactly that -- freedom of speech. If I want to write a hub/article/blog about "I hate (insert ethnic/religious group here) because I believe that they (insert belief here)" then I am free to do so. Now, I'm not saying I would do this or I condone it, but I would stand behind it with every fiber of my being to protect our rights.

Matter of fact, did you stop to think of whether you were going to insult the emotions of writers at large when you even started this thread? Should I flag it? smile

well valeed too has freedom of expression and he expressed it by flagging the hub..the hubber exercised his right to publish and valeed his right to flag..so guess it is all solved and hub team need to decide whether to keep that hub or scrap it...

2. WryLilt profile image87

Freedom of speech? If we had that here we could write about drugs, gambling, sex and guns. We can't, therefore meaning we don't have freedom of speech. Not that I'm complaining!

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
          Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Correct!  It is up to the mods to decide what some can or cannot say here!

6. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How does one hurt an "emotion?"
      Beats me!
      I can see how words can hurt.
      Allowing words to "hurt" is a personal decision. If a person allows words to hurt him/her, it's not the fault of the writer or speaker.
      You know the old saying about 'sticks and stones...?"
      May I suggest: don't be so damned sensitive!
      Qwark   smile:

2. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

I quite like this question and hope that folks will debate it in depth but respectfully (tho I am not holding my breath on that one). What grabs me in this question is down to why someone might write a hub that could potentially hurt someones feelings. There are those who strongly believe that a greater harm is being done in this world by this Islamic religion. This may or may not be perceived as true depending on your perspective. My point is that these hubs authors may feel that Islam is doing a far greater harm in this world through its treatment of women, its teaching about how one deals with those who do not believe the same, etc. I cannot help but consider the reaction in the Islamic world to Matt Stone and Trey Parker when they depicted Mohammad in South Park, or the cartoonist in France (I think, correct me if I am wrong) who also depicted Mohammad. There were death threats and mass protests that looked violent (even if it could be argued that they were not). To an outsider it is easy to view this reaction by a very large number of Muslims to be indicative of the religion as a whole. I myself have wondered if these Muslims are worshiping Allah or Mohammad when they react in this manner? It sure does look like that when a human is given the sort of status of a God, cannot depict God in visual form I get that, but to equate Mohammad as off limits to visual depiction puts him on the same level as God, which he is not. Anyway thats my ramble that kinda got off topic and went all round the houses roll smile

3. profile image0
    china manposted 13 years ago

There is a big difference between hubs discussing and criticing any religious belief - and the hate filled stupidity of some hubs - I would think they would qualify as hate speech.

1. profile image0

agree

4. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I believe the original intent was aimed at hubs which are 'hate or racist' themed.

We must abide by the rules of Hubpages and Adsense - that means we don't have freedom of speech. If we had freedom of speech, we could write as we wished on adult topics, gambling, drugs and guns.

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-random-smileys-119.gif

5. rotl profile image60
    rotlposted 13 years ago

There is a big difference between writing a hub that explores or questions certain religious principles and one that outright trashes them with malicious intent. Malicious hubs should be unwelcome in my opinion.

All these "free speech" advocates need to learn the nuances of free speech, such as its limitations, consequences, and the importance of exercising its powers responsibly.

6. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Is it right to write hub that can hurt someone's religious feelings?

First off, if YOU are able to write a hub that does not hurt the religious feelings of another, then you are more than welcome to do so.

If someone else decides to write about the garbage known as religion, and a religious person's feelings are hurt by the words used with the article written, then too bad.

The attack is mostly against religion and not the individual person. It attacks the irrationality and validity of religion.

However, those who are religious, will most likely find it personal, when they should not. If you believe your beliefs are solid, then you shouldn't care what other people have to say about it in a generalized format.

Most Hubs written about "religion" that I've come across are simply people's own interpretation they received from reading whatever good book it is that they read.

What is considered "hate" speech? Is just as subjective as the reader. However, "hate" can be recognized by those who are truly honest with themselves. Those hubs should be flagged as such.

7. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

Well the way I see it is this.  Nobody puts a gun to your head to read a hub that offends your religion, so you can either flag it after you read it if you feel that strongly about it, or don't read it at all.  Those are the only logical choices you can make.  For me personally, I can cite a lot of different articles and hubs where I didn't agree with the author, but I never took it personal.

8. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

To read or not to read, that's the question!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)