jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

what will you do?

1. 60
    Olorunlanaposted 5 years ago

If you can no longer fulfil your promises

1. Shadesbreath profile image88
      Shadesbreathposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Unless you are dead or have been rendered paralyzed or brain dead, you can always fulfill your promises.  There is no reason you can't other than your will.

If you can't keep promises and you are not dead or physically restrained, then you shouldn't make them. If you have made some that you don't want to keep anymore, then you have a choice to make:

1. Accept that you are selfish and dishonorable and break your promise and deal with the shame.  Let it be a lesson to you to not give your word so carelessly in the future (if you ever decide your word is worth anything again, which it it probably won't be).

2. Accept that you made a stupid promise, but honor your word and do what you said.  You keep your honor and self-respect intact and you can use the consequences you suffer for having made a stupid promise as your motivation to not be so reckless with your promises in the future.

1. Glenn Raymond profile image60
        Glenn Raymondposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I could not have said it any better.  I agree one hundred percent.  It is a great question though to just get people going on a topic.  It feels a lot like brainstorming.

2. sofs profile image87
    sofsposted 5 years ago

Wow Shadesbreath that is an awesome piece of advice, I would only say do not make a promise without giving enough thought, do not break one if you made it.. if you have done it thoughtlessly and foolishly you need to apologize.. and make amends.
    Promises are made to be kept.. if not it just tells you that you do not value your own words.

1. timorous profile image91
      timorousposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Or the person you made the promises to. neutral