jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (7 posts)

What is wrong with the filters, tags, seo or whatever.....???

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image93
    DzyMsLizzyposted 6 years ago

I have NO idea what could be causing this nonsense!  I have a good number of hubs up, and several of them, in the "Related Questions" box show things that are not only 'not related,' but bear not even the most remote resemblance or relativity to the topic of the hub. 

For example, my hub about Lassen Volcanic National Park, currently (11/26/10) shows in the 'related questions' box these two misfits:

"What are the first things that usually wear out on a 1991 Ford Taurus?"

and

"Does satan influence dreams? if so, how can you tell the difference?"

WTH????

Not only are they unrelated, they are sometimes OLD.  The first one was "asked 2 days ago"  --ok, relatively new, but very unrelated; the second one was "asked 9 months ago"  !!!!

How are these picked?  Something needs to be adjusted somewhere behind the scenes.

1. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 6 years ago in reply to this

From looking at my own Hubs and what turns up in the related box, it seems that the category which the Hub is listed under has the most effect on what can turn up as "related."  Take a look at the title at the top of the related questions box and see what it says.

I've only found two ways that I can improve the related selections:
      1) move my Hub to a different category which is more relevant
      or
      2) flagging the totally irrelevant stuff as miscategorized (checking the supposedly-related content frequently reveals it is completely in the wrong category)

DzyMsLizzyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

How do I find out what category the 'questions' are in...there is no 'title' there, only the 2 questions.

And how do I 'flag' the irrelevant stuff?? I don't see a way to do that, either.. 

Hmmmm

1. relache profile image87
          relacheposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I just realized the related questions thing changes.

Sometimes it says "related questions" and sometimes it lists a topical category.  When I get the category title (which matches the Hub catgory) the questions tend to be really quite relevant.  But the "related" questions version can sometime be way out in left field.

That's totally messed up....

2. Marisa Wright profile image94
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

They are picked based on the tags you've added to your Hub.

So if you see questions which are clearly not related, the first place to look is at your own tags.  Are there any which don't closely relate to the subject?  Delete them.

For instance, on the Lassen Hub you have the tag "bumpass Hell".  So now you know where the Satan reference came from!

DzyMsLizzyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hmm....welll, that is the name of a feature within the park...  good grief.  Taken out of context.

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
          Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

MsLizzy, remember this is an automated feature.  It can't judge context, it can only judge the individual words or phrases you give it.

Can you imagine how many staff would be required if HubPages had a human to do this?  All the income would be eaten up in salaries and there would be nothing left for us!

working