jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Work relationships

1. 60
    Sap2010posted 5 years ago

There has been a group of friends at work that do a lot of things outside of work like movies, dinner, shopping etc. There is a holiday party this year and now other co workers think that all coworkers should be invited so no one is offended. If there is afunction outside of work that includes some coworkers does that now mean all coworkers should be invited?

1. perfectperception profile image61
      perfectperceptionposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No.  Holiday's are holidays but friends are friends. The reality is that we spend a lot of time, 40 hours a week, with our co-workers.  They can sometimes become extended family but its a separate thing.  Therefore, a holiday party and friendship cannot be placed in the same category.

2. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 5 years ago

If there is a core group that regularly hangs out, I don't see why they would now need to include others just because it's Christmas.  If the company was sponsoring the Christmas party, then yes, all would need to be invited.

3. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago

...it depends...some coworkers become friends outside of work...and shouldn't feel the need to change that and invite everyone along....i never get invited to those social functions because i'm the boss...and I'm okay with that....ha ha ......unless of course i'm gathering everyone for a social function that is work related...so i guess that's the difference...is it a function that should be inclusive of all people that you work with...

4. SteveoMc profile image90
    SteveoMcposted 5 years ago

I work with a great group of people and will spend a lot of time with some of them out of work.   We party once in awhile because we enjoy each other's company.  A holiday party with just your friends does not require the invitation of everyone at work.  Although I must admit that it is a group of young people and one old fart: me.  I like hanging out with them, they just hide me in a corner.

But if you think that others at work would enjoy an 'office' party, a separate celebration could be held to include everyone.  It could take place after work in the office or in a nearby location.   If there is no interest, then so be it.   

We do that at work and have a white elephant exchange that proves to be very fun.   And everyone brings a snack or drink and we have a great time for a couple of hours.

By the way, the boss is a friend and we always invite him to join us.