jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (19 posts)

Single sponsors verses Amazon,,,

1. Bill Manning profile image71
    Bill Manningposted 6 years ago

Here's an interesting question! I happen to rank high for a particular pet product name. In fact I'm above the pet site!

I am an affiliate of them and they pay 5% per sale. Today I noticed that they also sell their products on Amazon. smile

I have been running around 7% with Amazon. Anyway, I'm going to make a product page in my pet site. Frankly, that page will rank even better than what I am now.

BUT, here's my question: If people are looking for this particular product, will they be more apt to buy it when they are taken to the original pet site, or Amazon?

It makes sense to use Amazon since the % wil be higher. However someone who is really looking for this particular item might be more willing to buy it from the actually manufacturer site, right?

Or do you think just as many will buy it from Amazon? I know there is more chance of them buying other items inside Amazon. What do you think?? hmm

2. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 6 years ago

In my opinion.....as a consumer....I don't care whether I get it directly from the manufacturer or through Amazon.  I'm looking first for the best price, then the best value (price, shipping, payment options, warranties, etc.)

3. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 6 years ago

I would see an advantage to buying from Amazon over the pet product manufacturer because there are so many other things I could buy at Amazon while I'm in the shopping mood.  There is a lot to be said for one-stop shopping.

4. Wendy Krick profile image54
    Wendy Krickposted 6 years ago

I would certainly buy it from Amazon.

5. Bill Manning profile image71
    Bill Manningposted 6 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I noticed the prices are about the same in both places. So I think I'll go with Amazon. As you said KCC, there is much more chance they will buy more there than at the other place. smile

6. skyfire profile image72
    skyfireposted 6 years ago

With amazon they're likely to spend more money on other items if they get distracted/attracted inside amazon but with vendor site they'll not spend much and will buy items only related to pet or only the one they're looking for. (I could be wrong with this observation).

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm sure you're right.  Very few of my Amazon sales are what I pushed, and many of them have nothing at all to do with the content of any of my hubs.   They might buy pet food at the sellers site, but will they buy pet collars, pet booties?  How about books, phones and ipods?  They'll do all that at Amazon.

7. Autumn Lynn profile image71
    Autumn Lynnposted 6 years ago

I prefer Amazon for everything. My account is all set up and it is one click shopping. I usually look to see if I can get something on Amazon before I buy on a website. I almost always find the price is better at Amazon anyway.

8. mcbean profile image86
    mcbeanposted 6 years ago

Don't forget to take Cookie duration in to account when you do your calculations. Being a direct affiliate with the pet site may get you a 90 day cookie which could gain you more sales.

It is hard to judge if the better chance at more 5% sales offsets the 7% of Amazon and the chance that people will go on a shopping spree (particularly at this time of year).

I would give it a few months with one then maybe try a swap to see what happens.

Don't forget to let us know how you get on Bill.

Bill Manningposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Ahh yes, the cookie duration is something I forgot. This sponsor does have a 90 day cookie. However so many browsers and programs block them and delete them once you click off that it's hard to keep them.

I'm going to go with Amazon and see what happens. I think even if I did get more sales with the other sponsor, the extra items they may buy at Amazon will make up for it. smile

9. Aya Katz profile image88
    Aya Katzposted 6 years ago

Bill, people prefer to buy products from Amazon, because they already have an account there. I've noticed this with my self-published books, too. All the sales come from Amazon.

10. Kangaroo_Jase profile image79
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 6 years ago

Bill,

May I suggest selecting two products and do a hub of each 'product'.

One using an affiliate connection
    One using only Amazon

and then see what the net effect is over 3-6 months.

Good idea, I might do that. But for the product page I'm making in my own website I'm going to go with Amazon. I can change the links anytime. smile

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image79
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Ahhh, re-read your above post Bill, meant to suggest on your website (rather than on HubPages) to trial affilliate connection and then Amazon, but you got the gist smile

11. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 6 years ago

From a customer perspective ,I will choose the one who offers 'free shipping'  smile no matter who it is.

Interesting. However you do know that often the ones who give free shipping just raise the products price a bit?

I give free shipping in the USA in my leather jacket website. But I slip an extra 10 bucks in the price of the jackets to offset that. It's a common practice, and my prices are still lower than lots of others. smile

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
        Eaglekiwiposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Sure ,but I check real quick on the day and if say 3or 4 sites all offer free shipping ,well I just go from there..

By the way Im a size L   lol in maybe a gunmetal blue

12. profile image0
    cookingdivaposted 6 years ago

I think maybe the best bet is to show both links from pet store and amazon, with prices showing and people may buy it from either one making you sell. It will show you are comparing the price and value both.

From amazon you will make bit more though.

13. Kangaroo_Jase profile image79
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 6 years ago

Will be interesting to see what clear determination you achieve over time with this one Bill.

working