jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

when should you talk to your child about sex?

1. edelhaus profile image87
    edelhausposted 5 years ago

My son is 13 almost 14 and he's always known where he come from but that's different from talking about sex... isn't it?  When and what should you discuss with your kids when it comes to sex?  How much info is too much info?  Should they just be left to their own devices (and advice from friends) or should we sit them down and really enlighten them?

1. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Just answer all your childrens
      questions honestly.
      When a child begins to question, answer those questions matter-of-factly" and lovingly.
      Never, NEVER treat your children in any manner but respectfully and never talk "baby talk" to them!
      Their minds are "NEW" and absorbant. Life is wonderous and they depend on you to provide for them physically and mentally.
      Never underestimate the abilities of an evolving mind!
      Your childs adult life will be determined by your treatment of it during the first 6 - 7 years of its life. Fill it with love and understanding and
      that child will grow up to love and respect its Mom for a lifetime.
      Qwark smile

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image90
    DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years ago

I made the mistake with mine of "waiting for questions" which I was fully prepared to answer very honestly...but they never asked any questions.

I do not know if this is because kids like many parents are also uncomfortable broaching the topic, or what.

I would, if I had to do it all again, simply incorporate the 'sex lessons' into casual conversation at any opportunity, starting at a very young age with age-appropriate observations.

As they grow older, and subject to the mis-information that can come from peers, I would provide medically-sound factual books as a supplement, and, again depending on their ages, either offer the book, or read it with them, and encourage questions.

By the time they are teens, they should already by these means, have all the information they need including the values of their own family, to make sensible choices.

1. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Amen Dzy!

3. matherese profile image62
    mathereseposted 5 years ago

I say as early as possible if not they will to their friends and movies for advice