jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Link broken alerts are not always right

1. Bard of Ely profile image87
    Bard of Elyposted 5 years ago

I have several times had alerts to say that links in my hubs are broken but when I try them there is nothing wrong with them so why does this happen? I just had one that was a link to Facebook and this has happened before for links there!

1. pauldeeds profile image
      pauldeedsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

A link will be marked as broken if it returns either a 404 Not Found or a 500 Internal Server Error http status code at the time when we test it.  Sometimes those are just temporary problems, other times sites are configured wrong and return those status codes on pages that appear OK.  As relache said, you can just ignore those errors (or they may go away on their own later) ...

2. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 5 years ago

That's why there's the "ignore" option on broken link alerts.  You can disable the false ones.

I report the faux alerts to admin so they can try and figure out why.

3. Lily Rose profile image85
    Lily Roseposted 5 years ago

I recently had several broken link notifications - I had several hubs that had link capsules that included links to a hub that I deleted many months ago, so the broken link notification was valid but I was quite surprised that it was just now coming to light when that hub was deleted a long time ago...

4. Bard of Ely profile image87
    Bard of Elyposted 5 years ago

Thanks for explaining, Relache and Paul!