jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

extremely long content

1. 61
    J. M. Edwardsposted 5 years ago

I'm working on a hub for a novel/short story plotting, planning and writing system I use and find very useful and fun.  Because there are many steps that I want to explain so that they're understandable, with pictures and examples, it would make one hub insanely long.

I was thinking of publishing each step as a separate hub, but as I'm new, I don't know if it would be okay to post like this and have one hub for the entire process that described each step briefly and linked to the hub for that step.

Would it be?  Or is there a better method I could use?

1. Brupie profile image84
      Brupieposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I definitely recommend the installment plan.  It will probably be easier on you too. 

Generally, large blocks of text online turn off a lot of readers.  Focus each hub on a specific step, but signal that you are working on a series and keep the paragraphs to a manageable size.

2. princess g profile image59
      princess gposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes, much better to break it up and link the parts together.

when you're done, just make sure you have links to the entire series on each page,

you never know when someomne will stumble in there somewhere in the middle.

3. 0
      Donna Ferrierposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, I've had to break up a few of my hubs because I discovered they were too long and readers weren't reading them.

4. Marisa Wright profile image91
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It depends what you mean by "insanely long". Several of our most successful Hubbers suggest a Hub length of 800 to 1,500 words is ideal. 

I do agree that going much over the 1,000 words means it's more likely people won't continue to scroll down, though.

2. SteveoMc profile image92
    SteveoMcposted 5 years ago

And then link the hubs together so that the reader can get a sequence.