jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Some funny experience in "Answers"

1. C.V.Rajan profile image71
    C.V.Rajanposted 5 years ago

I love posting (mostly) not-so-serious  and also serious responses to questions in Hubpages' "Answers".

I found certain funny experiences.

- Any serious response in the subject of religion, in a positive outlook towards religion (not necessarily restricted to Christianity) or towards religion-imposed-morality generally gets me a couple of minus points!

- Humorous responses with a tinge of sarcasm get one or two negative points.

- Funny still, in humorous responses where I take a dig at myself too, I get one or two minus points!

Does it mean people who visit "answers" section generally don't like pro-religion comments and lack a good sense of humor?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image88
      Rochelle Frankposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes, I think you have observed a common phenomenon.
      I am resigned to the fact that people who disagree with a viewpoint will vote it down. It has nothing to do with the quality of the reply, the wisdom, or the wit.
      I also like to give silly answers to questions-- especially when the questions, themselves, are silly.
      I restrain myself often, but not always.  I do recognize the fact that some people may be completely sincere and serious when the post something that seems ridiculous to me. I don't want to seem insulting.
      A recent comment here on the forums said something like, "There are no stupid questions . . . until they are asked."

2. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

People seem to vote down some of my most innocuous answers smile

Innocuousness is inexcusable! smile

2. 0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

AND THEY SHOULD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. C.V.Rajan profile image71
    C.V.Rajanposted 5 years ago

I also wonder whether cultural differences play a role in the treatment of sarcasm and jokes.

In our country (India) poking fun at others' idiosyncrasies is quite common when it comes to humor. Cutting jokes about people belonging to a particular mother tongue, geographical locality, sect etc are quite common and generally not taken too personal.

Sarcasm is easily accepted in humor. In fact, in Tamil (my mother tongue) weekly magazines, "Question-Answer" pages are quite popular. Witty replies (including sarcasm) are enjoyed much and sub-editors who write the answers are quite appreciated.

But is it true that in the West people generally are more serious and they don't appreciate sarcastic jokes? Is it also true that people are somewhat less tuned to grasp wit?

Normally in discussion forums in other writing sites, I have frequently found people not grasping my jokular remarks and they either give serious responses or get slightly offended on a not-so-serious issue!

Too bad we can't use smiley faces in the answers.
      I think there are cultural differences regarding humor and sarcasm, as you mentioned. Too many are too easily offended, too many can be hurtful with sarcasm, and many are just too afraid they might be misunderstood. The lines are very seldom clear -- and the cultural differences blur the boundaries even more.