jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (16 posts)

Special accolades for hubpages elite team!

1. 0
    JASON NICHOLSposted 5 years ago

Hello fellow hubbers, I thought of an idea that why not give the hubpages elite team special type of accolades. Our Elite team do lot of work and they have many big responsibilities also! They have to go through all readers hubs and flag or vote up or start hopping these hubs! The elite team has to welcome new hubbers and help them if they have any difficulties.
    And if you join the Hubpages elite team, Then you too get to enjoy these accolades:)

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If you ask any member of the elite team, they'll inform you that it's a hard, thankless job. They don't get any extra benefits and they often get abused.
      Giving them special accolades would only increase the distance they feel between normal members and themselves - something most don't want because they are only elites because they want to help out.

And anyone can flag, vote or hub hop. You don't need to be an elite to do it and elites don't have to.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image84
        Mark Ewbieposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'll say thanks then WryLilt.

1. WryLilt profile image88

Good on you Mark. They need to feel appreciated sometimes. smile They work hard in the forums, as well as in areas such as the hubmob and challenges.

2. rmcrayne profile image95
        rmcrayneposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Speaking only for myself…

I don’t consider my “job” thankless.  HubMobsters thank me all the time.  As far as hard, my job is not particularly hard either, although some weeks my “real life” gets in the way and it’s hard to find the time to get the HubMob roundup hub done as early in the week as I would like to. 

I’ve never been abused, and I don’t feel distanced from fellow hubbers.  I do however feel an obligation to make sure I conduct myself in such a way that would reflect positively on HubPages.  Although I seldom made snarky remarks before my elite status, I am especially careful not to do so now.  A superior or condescending attitude invites “abuse”, regardless of member status, IMO. 

I was recommended to my HubMob position by my predecessor when I was fairly new on HubPages, and subsequently contacted by a HP staffer and asked if I would be interested.  This was before the elite recognition program.  Participating in HubMob is rewarding.  I feel like I “get” as much as I give.  To be on the team, and recognized by HubPages for it, is really gratifying.

2. WryLilt profile image88

JASON - I've noticed you asking some very simple questions as well as making some suggestions in the last few days in relation to the hubpages site and community. Nothing wrong with ideas - that's where inventions come from!

However could I recommend that:

=>You read up on topics in the a) Learning centre b) Help section and c) Using the forum and site search at top right,
      =>Check to see whether similar ideas have been suggested/questions asked before AND
      =>Spend more time on the site learning about how it works as well as understanding the mindset of its members, especially the more experienced, long term and successful ones, before jumping in and offering suggestions that are really not related to the aims of the site.

2. jacobkuttyta profile image46
    jacobkuttytaposted 5 years ago

Thanks all hubpage elites for your hard work

3. 0
    Toby Hansenposted 5 years ago

Hear, hear!
    The HP Elite team do do a lot of work to not only help keep HP running smoothly, but help out newer Hubbers with all sorts of support and advice. Sadly, they do get abused by the odd twit.

This post is well overdue!

Thanks to all the HP Eliters who have helped me get a grip on HP!

4. 0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

I disagree with this suggestion, and that for the reasons that WryLilt has so articulately explained. In general, I too think it is prudent to spend some more time to get a feel for the site before making further suggestions. What may seem a bright idea may not "fly" for reasons that only more experienced members will understand. Of course, initiatives are welcome, but credibility and stature are best built by participating over a period of time.

1. Pcunix profile image91
      Pcunixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Sometimes it doesn't hurt to take a fresh run by an idea.  Not this one, but I hate to discourage folks from posting ideas.

1. 0
        Website Examinerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No one should be discouraged from making suggestions, and that was not my intention. I am not sure whether having suggested too many unworkable ideas might make it more difficult to get backing for brilliant ideas later on; that was my concern.

1. Pcunix profile image91
          Pcunixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Ayup.  That's definitely true too.

Balance.  The secret to everything smile

5. Tammy L profile image82
    Tammy Lposted 5 years ago

If I understand the way the HubPages Elite works by reading the help and FAQ, the Elite were once ordinary members who have applied to do the specific Elite job they do.  They were obviously accepted to Elite status.  Which doesn't mean we can't thank them for everything they do.  We can always become one of their followers and post fan mail.  Or, we can always thank them for everything they do when we post a comment to one of their hubs.  Those suggestions were probably mentioned before, but I felt them to be relevant here as well.

1. lrohner profile image86
      lrohnerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

FYI...Many of us did not apply. We were asked by the HP team to help out in certain areas, and most of us were more than happy to do just that. And back then, there was no "elite" status. That didn't come into play until much, much later. I just logged in one day and saw an "e" on my avatar.

Like rmcrayne, I can only speak for myself, but I'm more than happy to help out in any way I can. Matter of fact, I enjoy doing it.

1. Tammy L profile image82
        Tammy Lposted 5 years ago in reply to this

My apologies.  I did not understand completely the way the Elite worked.  Thank you for clarifying this for me.

6. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

Totally agree with rmcrayne and lrohner. Being a Hub Pages "elite" isn't a status thing. It simply means we have volunteered to help run certain functions of Hub Pages.
    Actually, not even volunteered, as we have been invited by HP to get more involved. Which is definitely an honor! And it's a lot of fun, too.
    So thank you to anyone who want to acknowledge the work done by HP elites.
    To anyone who wants to become a HP elite, keep hubbing and being a positive contributor.