jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (26 posts)

Spanish woman claims ownership of the Sun

1. pisean282311 profile image59
    pisean282311posted 6 years ago

After billions of years the Sun finally has an owner -- a woman from Spain's soggy region of Galicia said Friday she had registered the star at a local notary public as being her property.

Angeles Duran, 49, told the online edition of daily El Mundo she took the step in September after reading about an American man who had registered himself as the owner of the moon and most planets in our Solar System.

There is an international agreement which states that no country may claim ownership of a planet or star, but it says nothing about individuals, she added.

"There was no snag, I backed my claim legally, I am not stupid, I know the law. I did it but anyone else could have done it, it simply occurred to me first."

The document issued by the notary public declares Duran to be the "owner of the Sun, a star of spectral type G2, located in the centre of the solar system, located at an average distance from Earth of about 149,600,000 kilometres".

Duran, who lives in the town of Salvaterra do Mino, said she now wants to slap a fee on everyone who uses the sun and give half of the proceeds to the Spanish government and 20 percent to the nation's pension fund.

She would dedicate another 10 percent to research, another 10 percent to ending world hunger -- and would keep the remaining 10 percent herself.

"It is time to start doing things the right way, if there is an idea for how to generate income and improve the economy and people's well-being, why not do it?" she asked.

guess i must file for ownership of universe smile

1. iamalegend profile image72
      iamalegendposted 6 years ago in reply to this

what a story

2. profile image0
      Jake Gene Barnesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

This is absolutely hilarious!

What I find most amusing is that she thinks that simply having a document that claims ownership of the sun is going to allow her to do all of that.

A Sun Tax... hahahaha!

Good luck trying to enforce it lady. Without a military, police force, IRS, etc. it will be impossible for you to collect on it.

3. profile image0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 6 years ago in reply to this

yeah..but think of the property taxes!!

1. profile image0

Yeah, ha ha! I didn't even think about that.

4. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I claim the moon! neener, neener, neener. lol

2. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 6 years ago

What is she going to do if I cannot or will not pay the sun tax to her? hmm

pisean282311posted 6 years ago in reply to this

well breaking news...she appointed me to collect tax tongue

3. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 6 years ago

Sounds like she is trying to entrap Spain into war. She does in effect have all those forces behind her - military , Police IRS etc. After all she wants them to have half of the money!

lol

2. profile image0

Good point! LOL

But if Spain knows what's good for it...

1. iamalegend profile image72
        iamalegendposted 6 years ago in reply to this

May be Spain looking for water in sun

lol

4. habee profile image89
    habeeposted 6 years ago

Cool! I want Uranus!!

1. Urbane Chaos profile image89
      Urbane Chaosposted 6 years ago in reply to this

LOL - I call dibs on Pluto!

5. 2uesday profile image87
    2uesdayposted 6 years ago

When she raise a flag on it - I mean lands there (on the sun) and physically puts up a flag of ownership I will take it more seriously. smile

lol nice one...

6. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 6 years ago

Imagine owning the sun --- I'm only annoyed that I didn't think of it first!

well never mind...mars is already booked..how about venus?

7. Pearldiver profile image86
    Pearldiverposted 6 years ago

Oh Coooooooollll..............

I've been trying to serve legal docs on God now or over a year for a law suit proceedings relating to Unwarranted Sunburn!

Cool... Now I can file against her and Caveat the Sun so she can't get rid of it before our Court Day!!  Te Amo! Te Amo!! smile

well but she does want tax with interest for using sun light since our individual births...unless we pay that sun heat would keep on happening...tongue

2. Disturbia profile image61
      Disturbiaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Now there's a thought... so when I get my medical bill for skin cancer from too much sun exposure, do I send it to the lady in Spain?  After all, isn't she now responsible for protecting us from the sun's harmful rays?   There's always a down side to everything, property taxes and liability.  LOL.

8. Wayne Orvisburg profile image79
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 6 years ago

I'd put it on ebay.

9. profile image59
    nomorerackposted 6 years ago

i had read this and its kinda funny to know someone owns the sun so you know now that you could file a law suite just in case you get sunburns,.. lol

10. manlypoetryman profile image72
    manlypoetrymanposted 6 years ago

Good for her. I've had my eye on a nice piece of Real Estate on Mars...for a long time.

11. timorous profile image91
    timorousposted 6 years ago

Wow..what a great investment..a perpetual energy machine.  If only she could get rid of those unsightly sunspots. big_smile

working