my first hub

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. thatcatschaaf profile image68
    thatcatschaafposted 13 years ago

after asking questions in the forums I was told to ask people to look over my hub and ask what you think of it. thanks Mark I guess this is the link

http://hubpages.com/hub/Italian-vacation-and-travel

2. Urbane Chaos profile image90
    Urbane Chaosposted 13 years ago

Stats: 1,144 words with "in florence", "the uffizi", and "vacation and" as the top three keyphrases.

The article is well written and contains some good information.  The length of the article is perfect, in my opinion.  I've always had better luck with articles that run 1,000 to 1,2000 words in length, but that's not a "set in stone" rule.

Really, I only saw three things that stood out, which is typical for a first hub online.

1. Keyphrase choice:  Try to target your keywords towards the audience and the ads you want to display.  There's a thousand great articles on how to do this, so I won't go into any kind of depth here.  Do a search through the hubs and you'll see what I mean.

2. Your first picture: Again, this is my opinion, but I always suggest leaving that first area blank because that's a prime adwords advertising spot.  In essence, you generally want the majority of your ads placed "above the fold", or even better, they should be place where the reader can see them as soon as the article is opened.  The reason is simple, a lot of readers click on the link to see if it's what they're looking for, and if it's not then they leave.  A lot of those people are going to be the ones that you get your clicks from.  I would simply move the picture down to the next capsule, or split your first capsule in two and put it there.

3. Your opening statement:  Usually, this is what Google and other search engines pick up as your pages description, or "Meta description."  When people search for topics similar to yours, under your link it will say, "This is one of my favorite pictures from my trip to Venice and is probably the most photographed bridge in Venice. The Rialto bridge is much bigger then it seem when you are going under it by waterbus. Once on..." -- which most people will see more as a personal blog rather than an informational article.  When editing your page, on the right side is an area where you can change this (right under "Add More Capsules.")  Write a brief description about what your article is about (using keyphrases) and put that under where it says "summary."  That will help you get ranked a little better in Google.

Really though, it's a great article.  The suggestions here deal more with SEO than article writing, which is what most new posters have issues with.  By the time you have four or five hubs under your belt, you'll be an old pro.

Great job - can't wait to read more!

thatcatschaafposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thanks for the advice, I know a good bit about SEO for web sites as I have done a lot for my web site but how do i do it on a hub. Also I was thinking about adding more capsules to my first hub and expand it rather then making a new hub, what is your opinion on this. Also I like your idea about changing my wording so it doesn't seem like a blog so i guess I can edit a hub that I have already posted. thanks Mark

1. Urbane Chaos profile image90
        Urbane Chaosposted 13 years agoin reply to this

SEO really isn't that different from writing websites to writing hubs.  I like to think of each hub as a separate web-page, and then market it accordingly.  A lot of it is just simply keyword research and getting the best obtainable ads. (...or encouraging people to buy amazon products)

As for expanding the hub, I think the length is just fine.  Most online readers don't really read more than 1,500 words anyway.  Your pictures really paint the picture of what you're saying, so I wouldn't worry about that.  Maybe throw in an amazon capsule, but they don't get a lot of action on information hubs..

There's nothing wrong with making it sound like a blog - you just have to think about what's going to keep the reader interested.  From an SEO standpoint, you also want to make sure that the first paragraph is both "Google friendly" and reader friendly. 

Don't analyze things too much though or you'll just be stuck doing that all the time.  Try a hub, learn from it, and move on.. You're doing great man, just keep on movin'.. You'll be fine.

3. travelespresso profile image69
    travelespressoposted 13 years ago

This is an excellent first hub.

Here are just a couple of (minor) suggestions.  You could easily break up your text by simply adding headings in the capsules.  That will make the content easier to read.

I agree with Urban Chaos about not having a picture up first.  It took me a very long time to learn this but that first block on the right hand side is prime Adsense space so I tend to leave it to them.  Use the preview box to see if you have sufficient text in the first capsule to show the advertisement.

Did you write your own summary first sentence?  You can elect to do that and, for this hub, I would do it because it will give the readers more of a sense of the entire article rather than reference to a personal photo.

Other than this - its a really great article.  Well done and welcome to Hubpages.

4. saish profile image40
    saishposted 13 years ago

you will learn everyday with your mistake and you will be able to clarrify it as well. and we are always there to help you

5. saleheensblog profile image60
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

hub well done.

You need to add more tags. For a 1200 word hub you can easily add up to 30-35 tags, at least use 10-20 relevant tags. Target low competitive but high traffic, decently paying keywords. There are many good hub on keyword research in HP. I have a hub on it. You can check.

thatcatschaafposted 13 years agoin reply to this

since I am doing a lot on the web there are a lot of new things that I am doing and new terms to learn. with this in mind what are you calling tags and why should I have so many tags. also many people keep talking about google adds and where they are. why should I care about google adds  I don't show them on my web site so what does it matter if they show up here. thanks Mark

1. saleheensblog profile image60
        saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am sure you haven't studies the learning center yet. Please check it out first http://learningcenter.hubpages.com/

Tags/keywords are the terms for which you want your hubs to be ranked well. If you don't rank your hubs will never be found by people. No traffic means no earning. Learn detail about keywords. Read hubs available in HP on the topic. I also have hub on keyword research.

HP is a partner with Google adsense, amazon, ebay and Kontera. When people clicks on ads you earn revenue, therefore, you need to put ads on hubs. These ads are by default added in your hub. You should write few more hubs and sign in for the affiliate programs to start earning.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)