First month on Hubpages - 0.58p

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (58 posts)
  1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

Just in case anyone else, like me, feels inadequate - that's what I made in my first month.  Ok, it's in English currency so that equates to rather more in dollar terms.

A very small and quiet - woo hoo.

1. warchild75 profile image62
      warchild75posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thats how i started out buddy,at one stage i was earning £4 a month every month for about 6 months and wondered what i was doing,now im earning 3 figures,keep at it buddy!!

Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks friend.  It's interesting to hear a variety of experiences. Plus some hope for the future.

2. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Made 91 cents my first month. 27 cents the second. smile

Lol.  Excellent work there Mark!  Something to aim for, and an inspiration.

3. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There will be more..There will be more..Congrats it is the start of many $$$$ sign

4. kirstenblog profile image79
      kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think I made less with more hubs over a longer period hmm

There is no where to go from here but up big_smile

They say if you can make a penny online you can make £, if you can make a £ you can make 10 or 10,000, just rinse and repeat. Over time you will hit on big topics to write on and such smile

5. profile image0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Imagine how good your statement makes us feel! That means if we don't make any money when we first join up (I have), then we don't feel so alone!

Actually, it takes the pressure off, knowing I can just figure out how this works for six months without feeling bad that I'm not earning! smile

2. saleheensblog profile image61
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

the important thing is you have earned something. congrats smile

Thanks.  It has been the most enjoyable 58p I have ever earned.

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You earnt more than I did in my first month. And second month too I believe!

Blimey!  Thanks WryLilt.  I'm a bit smug now.  58p.  In your face.

I earnt over $190 in November. You were saying? tongue big_smile

Whoops! A bit of a brash young newbie mistake there.  I am suitably squashed.

I was waiting for the comeback of "Well by the time I get where you are, I should be earning double then, right?"

No, I'm still new here.  The biting stuff doesn't get going until about six months in.  About the time I usually get banned.

Ah. Well don't get banned, we'll have to start calling you Mark Knowles then. And we'll only have Shadesbreath left to amuse us!

2. ThomasE profile image70
        ThomasEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I started about the same time as you, and in my first month I earned 46p only, but it would have helped if I got round to putting affiliates on my account sooner. I just assumed with next to no traffic I wouldn't get any clicks.

Apparently, my work is so horrendous; people click anything blue just to get off my hubs.

Cool wink

Nice theory ThomasE. You've been very busy in 4 weeks.

1. ThomasE profile image70

Thanks, Mark; to be honest I think I have only worked medium hard so far. I didn’t publish much for two weeks; I was just working out a plan, and reading the forum. I could have done a lot more.

2. Pcunix profile image90
          Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If only HP would let us use flashing red headlines, perhaps we all could affect our readers in this way.

I don't think insulting them works - they just leave without clicking anything.  The idea is to make them nauseous and perhaps dizzy so that they accidentally buy something on their way out.

On the serious side - I have seen Adsense increase every month I have been here.  Amazon seems to be picking up a very tiny bit also although I still have months where I don't meet their measly $10 transfer requirement.

I am very interested to read of people doing well with Amazon. It is something that has never done much for me at my main site, so it hasn't really been on my radar.  I need to start looking at that more seriously.

1. ThomasE profile image70

I guess it is how you look at things, PCUnix. I didn't say that I wanted my work to be horrendous, but it is nowhere near as good as I want it to be. I look on sales hubs as a useful service: you are trying to find good products that you would use yourself, and then find people who need the thing you are selling.

Most of the people who make good money here on sales hubs add some kind of value to the internet.

But, this is my first month doing this kind of writing... my purpose is to get very good at this particular form of writing. That doesn't mean I'm there yet, and it would be supremely arrogant of me to assume anything else.

I had no intention to write for adsense, and it surprises me when anyone clicks adsense on my hubs.

1. Pcunix profile image90
              Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am wondering if you misunderstood?  I was not being serious in the first two paragraphs.

I wouldn't worry much about writing for Adsense.  There are rare cases where Adsense will misinterpret your content, but usually they will not.  If they do, it may or may not be possible to fix: I did a page that mentioned string theory and got guitar ads smile

2. profile image0
      TopUniverseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Excellent point, I got $1 in the first month that is a real booster to anyone.

3. evvy_09 profile image59
    evvy_09posted 13 years ago

tongue I'm at $2 now for the past 3 monthes so you got me beat

Thanks evvy, we can start a competition.  $5 by Xmas 2011.

1. evvy_09 profile image59
        evvy_09posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I see your $5 and raise you $6 haha

I have reported your comment.  TOS states no reference to gambling.

Of course not.  It was a joke.  Sort of.  Now I have explained the fun out of it.

4. Karanda profile image79
    Karandaposted 13 years ago

Woo hoo to you Mark, you deserve it, well you deserve more actually, but I'm sure it will only get better for you. Always a good read and a laugh on your hubs.

Thanks Karanda. Most (would be) comedians die broke and depressed.  One out of two ain't bad.

5. CASE1WORKER profile image60
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

just keep up the good work

My cynical husband laughed at my pences and then this month it was a  lot better and he became interested!
    with "so really if you left it there and did nothing, it would still earn?"
    ME.."YEAH"
    HIM " That's ok then"!!

I too have an audience of home cynics.  Anyway good luck to you - let's show them!

6. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

Also more than I made in my first month!  Keep at it and in a couple of months you can buy me a glass of wine with your earnings to celebrate! smile

Thanks CMHypno - I'm glad I shared!   It's nice to know that others had the same experience.  Keep the faith and all that.

7. profile image0
    Toby Hansenposted 13 years ago

Well done! In the five months since I first came to HP and discovered adsense, I have made $0.61 Australian.
    That equates to about 34p.

That's fabulous Toby!  I feel a certain competitive element entering this thread.  Anyone less than 34p in five months?

Edit:  You did mean five months not weeks?  I checked your profile?  No cheating on this matter now, it's important.

1. profile image0
        Toby Hansenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, months. I closed my original account so I could write here as myself.

That's cool, and I apologise for implying you were a charlatan and a vagabond on a public forum.

1. profile image0
            Toby Hansenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey, not a problem! I have seen a lot worse posted about people in the forums. smile

8. cre8tive profile image80
    cre8tiveposted 13 years ago

I made a whopping £1.59 in my first year on Hubpages ~ I know ~ go me .... however ...that was with one hub which wasn't optimised at all (hadn't even heard the word keyword when I wrote it).

A year later when I came back (August this year) I started looking at it more seriously, thought there was something in it, started writing 'proper like' in Sept and made Adsense payout in Novemeber (well I hope so, just waiting for it to be verified).

Be very proud of your 58p, as it'll soon be much more:)

Thanks... and well done to you.  I can see the work you have put in.

9. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

0.08 cents 1st month and 0.27 cents 2nd month. So don't become discouraged.

Thanks Kangaroo Man.  It's been great sharing the starting points from others on this thread, kind of uplifting.

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mark,

If you feel you can write for this site and wanna earn a few biscuits along the way, just hang around long enough to reap what you sow.

All those cents kind of start to come a little quicker and more often as time goes by. Which yes, is nice and kinda uplifting too.

10. Diffugere_nives profile image67
    Diffugere_nivesposted 13 years ago

Congratulations! I started writing hubs 5 weeks ago and so far adsense gives me estimated earnings of £1.69 so suddenly feeling quite pleased with myself! smile shows we can all do it let's keep going!

11. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Well, Mark, I've done a little digging over at Amazon and found that with your HP earnings so far, you can buy a whole bunch of very useful things:

- disposable earplugs are only $.45
    - Cover Girl lip tint is going for $.01 (always useful)
    - an 11"x17" copy of the Desiderata poem on parchment for your office
    - Disney Princess rubber band bracelets -- what fun!
    - a 3M lint roller

You're welcome! smile

Excellent Irohner!  I lolled, and then was captivated.  What a great selection. You've ticked all my boxes with that stuff.

However, having had a sarcastic email from Amazon this morning saying something about not selling anything on my affiliate and do I need help - I am not planning on a visit at the mo'.

1. lrohner profile image69
        lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's "L"rohner to you, Mark. smile

Let me suggest an appropriate reply to Amazon:

Dear Amazon,

Thank you for your kind email. I would love to take you up on your offer of assistance.

Please select the ten best-selling items on Amazon that pay out the highest commissions. Then encode my affiliate ID into each of those products on your site so that I can maximize my earnings.

Thanks much and have a great day!

Mr. Ewbie

Thanks for pointing if the "L" thing.

It's a good letter, but I think I'll just hope they don't cross me off their affiliates list.

Or see what I have done with some of their products.

1. CMHypno profile image83
            CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you going to share about what you have done with some of Amazon's products?  All ears!!

I wish.  But I can't promote my own hubs.  That message you get about self promotion freaks me out every time I think about posting. 

Let's say that in certain pieces I have used the Amazon advert as an addition to the 'humour' rather than an honest (is there an honest?) way to sell something.

It also means I can have appropriate pictures to stretch the meagre text without copyright issues. 

And of course you never know, someone might buy something one day.

1. CMHypno profile image83
                CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I thought that it was going to be more scandalous than that! LOL smile

12. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
    Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years ago

This might give you some inspiration. smile

Yes indeed.  It was that that prompted this thread - an alternative view.

But wow, a thousand dollars a month - that would be nice.  A lot of hard work and learning lays ahead.

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
        Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are rite. I am nowhere near that even after 17 months on HP. But I do make some money elsewhere on the web also.

13. Len Cannon profile image88
    Len Cannonposted 13 years ago

I just checked: my first month here I made $.74 and the month after that 5.50.

Not every month was a growth month, but overtime it has been 1000 times better.

14. Hestia DeVoto profile image61
    Hestia DeVotoposted 13 years ago

I just got through my first month here and made $8.46!  I don't quite know what I'm doing right (since it was all AdSense) but I hope I can keep doing it.

15. waynet profile image70
    waynetposted 13 years ago

Made a few cents in my first year, a few dollars in my second year and then I took it seriously and focused on stuff for my 3rd and nearly 4th year and still trying to make something out of them earlier experimental hubs. Now I'm making money off these hubpages and my other blogs combined making a part time income that is live-able!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)