jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

Reducing links within a Hub

1. shazwellyn profile image84
    shazwellynposted 6 years ago

Here at Hubpages there is a two link rule to same site.  This is the reason why you were flagged as overly promotional.  This is the rule and that is that, Im afraid  - unless you use amazon capsules or ebay capsules, then the rule doesnt apply.

HubPages need to protect their reputation and most people dont have a problem with this rule.

1. profile image0
      b a pfenderposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thank you for your comments, although I'm not criticizing the rule. It is inconvenient, but I understand its purpurse. Please notice the proposed solution I've offered for fellow writers who may also run into the same situation. That is the purpose of my post. Your opinion of my solution idea would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1. simeonvisser profile image89
        simeonvisserposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Some people are less likely to download arbitrary .zip or .exe files though. In particular for something like a wallpaper which are just .jpg files.

1. profile image0

That's true and that's the drawback of offering files as zips. But that appears to be the only option when more than two graphics are involved. I wonder if any other digital artists are experiencing the same dilemma. Thanks for commenting.

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 6 years ago

Here is the related thread:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/60965

1. profile image0

The comments and suggestions of fellow digital artists would be greatly appreciated.

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You may be able to upload the files to a major media repository such as Flickr, then link to them there instead. Even though it is not official, it is my opinion and that of others that HubPages staff maintains a white list to such repositories and does not enforce the two-links rule for materials hosted there. The images themselves should be part of the hub, with the link to the source file provided underneath the image or elsewhere in the hub.

1. profile image0

That's an excellent idea and I'll try it. I've not used those services before but it's definitely worth pursuing as an alternative to what I've been trying to do. Many thanks for the suggestion!

3. Staci-Barbo7 profile image89
    Staci-Barbo7posted 6 years ago

I was having to be careful to avoid being flagged in writing my recent Hub, even though there was no promotional intent.  I was trying to find a way to let my readers know about national drug store chains' rewards policies, which involved more than one link to each corporate website.  Of course, I understand:  HubPages enforces this rule really to prevent the rare errant Hubber from using HubPages to promote their own personal interests at the expense of the community.

1. profile image0

It can be a difficult balancing act. I believe the vast majority of contributors want to use HubPages to share their craft, but with any successful medium, there are marketers and scammers who want to play the system to their advantage. It's similar to using keywords with search engines. You have to use enough keywords to attract traffic. Using too many or using them repetitively can get you dropped from Google, Bing and others. It's a challenge!

working